1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Film ideas -student techniques-ideas tips

Discussion in 'Media studies' started by MEEJADUDE, May 4, 2011.

1. Hi
    I am really interested in techniques that people may be using in Film Studies for film project ideas generation by students. How do people get students to generate genre or short film ideas? From news stories? The imagination? Shoeboxes of postcards?
    I am intersted in the many techniques that are out there?
    Can you help?
    Thank-You.

2. Hi
    I am really interested in techniques that people may be using in Film Studies for film project ideas generation by students. How do people get students to generate genre or short film ideas? From news stories? The imagination? Shoeboxes of postcards?
    I am intersted in the many techniques that are out there?
    Can you help?
    Thank-You.

3. If you contact secondary@filmeducation.org we can send you an article summarising a Film Education workshop entitled Coming up with story ideas: approaches to original film narrative.

Regards

Film Education team

4. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

One that I used was 'Silent Movie'.
    That way the students can focus on the acting and visuals and not have to worry about the (often) **** sound quality that most DV Cams produce. It means they can explore video effects that 'age' the film, and they can compose funny caption boards. There are royalty-free silent movie music clips available on the interweb. They're a bit of a laugh to make, as they're usually slapstick comedies.
    Another idea is 'Benny Hill Chase' - give them an audio file for 'Yakkity Sax', the Benny Hill theme, show them a Benny Hill ending YouTube clip, and see what they come up with. You might want to go easy on the scantily clad totty there though ;-)
    One that worked well with lower school was 'Sitcom Opening Sequence',where the sitcom is set in school. They have to set the mood of the show by using clips of school life interspersed with shots of the cast clowning arpund and individual walk-ons accompanied by actor credits, with self-composed theme tune, animated title panel, and all confined to 30 seconds.

5. Thanks for al these:
    REGARDING

SHORT FILM creation

Does anyone have any clever ideas to get creativity flowing?

Thanks

6. Hi
    I use creativity games by Edward de Bono (How to have creative ideas) - I have an art background and usually teach students to be creative first (ie what is creativity? how does it work?) before applying techniques. Students need to know what creativity is and how how to develop ideas if they are not 'naturally' creative. Seemingly random activities in creativity can have a massive impact on ideas development: exercises in semiotics have also proved really useful.
    http://swanwickhallmedia.weebly.com/index.html

7. Another idea is to use famous paintings. I find this works well for creative writing and films. Good luck! Try the mediaedusites.co.uk blog for more comments - they love this kind of thing!

8. We just did a really successful cross-discipline project using Man with a Movie Camera that worked really well (with year 9). The film making group basically made an updated version filming around their local area and we just gave them a mood board of shot types and techniques to use like split screen and super-imposed images. It worked really well as it gave them creative freedom to film what they wanted as long as it fit into the very broad theme of 'day in the life of a city' and they cold be experimental with all the different editing effects as opposed to worrying about narrative, dialogue and continuity.

9. If you just need them to use the equipment to create a finished product then my students like re-creating things.
    We have recreated the following-
    TV Licencing advert http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuNRKdqNu5E
    Look advert http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JCTB6JaL40
    Jobsite advert http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axx31L7GSgE
    Opening sequence of Napoleon Dynamyte (can't find this on you tube)
    A classroom scene from Donnie Darko
    Next we are doing a music video, and I also like the idea of having a go at these on a small scale - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mj5Jr0QWNMA

For original work, we use props/locations etc from a box. In AS Film studies we really push the idea that their film is of a 'moment' from a longer film, and therefore does not have to have a beginning, middle and end. This makes things more simple and they can really concentrate on creating meaning for the audience.
    Creativity is hard to teach though, but I find that the 're-making' activities as part of an induction do help students to make mistakes in a safer environment and therefore help them take calculated risks later on.

Hope this is useful- if anyone else re-creates things then please let me know and we can swap ideas!