1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Film for storiees with issues/dilemmas Yr 3/4?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by traine3, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I am PGCE student,teaching yr 3/4 stories which raise issues and dilemmas.
    I am stuck on a film to use. Can anyone recommend one for me/give me any ideas?
    Chn need to:
    Watch an extract from TV or video which shows a character facing a dilemma; talk about how the mood and atmosphere are achieved with music, images and words.

Thanks

2. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

I'd use the Pixar movie "Up", when the old man is about to be taken off to live in the retirement home and he decides to tie the balloons to his house and fly away....

3. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

A great choice but I wouldn't be able to watch that in school. I'm in tears every time I see the start.

4. Thanks for this - it's a big help. I will get the film tomorrow :)

5. I'll watch at home first then and make sure I provide tissues!

6. I think the standards site had a link to a short film on you tube called 'One man band' and there's always Granddad and the laundry basket which was on the standards site, if you haven't already used it.

7. There's a short, silent film called 'dangle' on YouTube which I've used to great effect- about a guy who discovers a pull cord hanging from the sky. Lots of shots of the whole should-I-shouldn't-I etc, then when it all goes wrong, should he own up or run away. No music, but great for talking about dilemmas.
    LT

8. EcoLady

EcoLady New commenter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzRD59r2j2A
    Superb!!! Love the subtle sounds in the distance at the end :)

9. Thanks :)

10. Thanks - I might use dangle. What do you do with the children afterwards? Discuss the mood etc - then get them to write theirr own ending for the story?

11. I have used Charlie and Lola twice now - My best, best bestest friend works well. A new girl starts at school and Lola is left out.