1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Film Clips to use in Film Music SOW

Discussion in 'Music' started by cyberbell7, Jan 24, 2010.

1. Hi
    I was wondering if anyone could suggest some suitable film clips for me to use in my Film Music Scheme of Work. My idea is to play my students the clip without music and then get them to compose new music for the scene. Its for Y8s. I have a couple of example in mind i.e The great escape/jaws/Physco (bit dodgy age wise) but not sure if they will really grab the students imagination

Thanks
    Helen

2. I like horror ones as there are so many cliches they can use. I've used a bit from the Abominable Snowman, as I found with things like Jaws they just want to use the original Jaws theme. I also gave them the option of Tom and Jerry which one group preferred as they like composing cheerful music! I've also not bothered with film clips before and just given them a selection of cue sheets. I adapted ones from the A2 music technology set briefs which meant they could choose ones to suit them - if I'm honest I get better results with the cue sheets as they focus more composing music and using film music techniques. (This is year 9 though and not year 8.) Now I let them choose which cue sheet/clip to use and I tend to get better quality work as they choose the one that inspires them. I also give them the option of choosing their own clip - they just send me the link on You Tube and I download it for them and check it is suitable - it does have to be an age appropriate film though.

3. I usually use movie trailers garnered from Youtube rather than bits of the film themselves. It gives them many moods and paces of music in one short segment. We are using the new Robin Hood at the moment, but I have used Quantum of Solace before, though this doesn't go down so well with the girls.

4. Hello,
    I loaded some clips here for you:

https://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storycode=6034285
    https://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storycode=6034284

Hope it helps [​IMG]
    x

5. casper

casper New commenter

One clip I use is a Tom and Jerry one. It always goes down well. I have also used some Harrry Potter.I get pupils to watch a clip and do a cartoon strip and add underneath ideas for the music. we time it so that each table gets so long and they are responsible for a clip adn have to provide the music adn sound effects for the clip - great fun.

6. I have used a clip from Superman Returns - the bit where he stops the plane crashing. A really good example of motif.

I have also used an old Mickey Mouse cartoon called The Steamroller and Tom and Jerry/Roadrunner cartoons always seem to work well.

I also discovered that they seem to love Charlie Chaplin films for some reason. As there is no dialogue it is good as it allows them to really focus on the music.

7. Red wine fan

Red wine fan New commenter

I have taught this using Tom & Jerry in Heavenly Puss (on Youtube if you need it). We picked 3 short scenes they had to compose for plus one option. The Heavenly Escalator is a very good 45 second challenge!
    I also do a unit where they use a clip from Cats & Dogs, near the beginning where the puppy goes outside & is given his quest for the first time.

8. GillP

GillP New commenter

I've used Gladiator scenes with year 7

9. mrkeys

mrkeys Occasional commenter

.............and then record and import into either windows movie maker or imovie, add graphics, titles, transitions, even a voice over, burn to CD, print a label with sutable software and students have a quality example of work to take home.

10. I have used the Bourne Identity (scene 4) and the matrix lobby scene. Great for introducing minimalism too!!!

11. The famous Wallance & Gromit train chase is always a good one.. action packed with a few good hit points! something the kids can relate to aswell

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUEoLn2NWcM

Craig

12. brookey1970

brookey1970 New commenter

Agree about W&G.
    I wrote a 6-lesson unit of work on soundtracks, and it's hiding somewhere on this computer. I'll find it if you want a copy. It uses a two-and-half-minute section from animated horror Monster House as a theme, and focuses on motifs, clusters, pedals, ostinatos and storyboarding. It was quite popular with the kids.
    Here's the clip on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZtdrHEf_ag
    Find 3:45 - 6:15

13. Reminds me of a Film Music module I did at University - as an introductory exercise, we had to put an existing piece of music to a scene from a film. (Sounds more like primary school than university, there must have been more to it than that...?!) I used the scene from Aladdin where they escape from the Cave of Wonders on the magic carpet - all near misses and exploding lava - and played The Augurs of Spring from the Rite of Spring at the same time. It synced up brilliantly (If I may say so myself)..!

14. trelassick

trelassick New commenter

DaH obviously stands for 'Disney at Heart'!

15. I use the 'sixth station' scene from Spirited Away for yr 8 film music.
    I use the psycho shower scene for spooky music where they use discordant block chords, 12 tone melodies and minimalism in yr 9.

16. hi there
    please could you send me this unit and related resources?
    Many thanks
    sarah_potts@hotmail.co.uk