1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Film Advice

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Over_the_hill, Feb 21, 2020.

1. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

Eldest has a lecture later so I’m going to go to the cinema. I can either see Emma or 1917. Anyone recommend either of these?

2. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

"1917" all the way.
    "Emma" has been directed by someone who is known as a fashion photographer and it looks like it. It lacks much in the way of depth, nuance, wit, character, believability or acting. It looks quite nice though.
    And that's before I complain about the shallowness of the adaptation or interpretation of a great book.
    But "1917" was outstanding.

emerald52 and (deleted member) like this.
  3. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Mind you, that might just be a typical bloke's choice, given that I have not seen Emma and do not intend to.

But 1917 was outstanding.

4. Kandahar

Kandahar Lead commenter

I haven't seen either, but 1917 is on my list now - thank you.

5. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

1917. If you have an IMAX option , see it there.

mothorchid and (deleted member) like this.
  6. Over_the_hill

1917 it is then - thank you!

mothorchid likes this.
  7. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

1917 is very good and haven't you seen 101 versions of Emma. Can I also recommend Richard Jewell if anyone gets the chance to see it. Another two I've enjoyed are Once upon a time in America - although I didn't like it at first, and its a Beautiful day in the Neighbourhood which is slightly weird but I did enjoy it.

nomad and (deleted member) like this.
  8. nomad

nomad Star commenter

You really need to be American and over 50 to really appreciate Its a Beautiful Day in the Neighbourhood.

9. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

My mother has just seen Parasite and speaks very highly of it. I liked The Lighthouse. I don't doubt that 1917 is a good film but it doesn't really appeal to me.

emerald52 and (deleted member) like this.
  10. armandine2

armandine2 Established commenter

not seen either - have seen The Lighthouse

toss a coin and hope that Emma is better than early reports have it

1 person likes this.
  11. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

or "Hollywood" Sometimes my head says one thing while my fingers type something else.

12. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Well maybe, we did enjoy it though through English eyes.

13. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

If you want a recommendation for "Parasite" I can't think of a higher recommendation than the fact that the orange groper made fun of it. I like the response from the distributor.

'What was that all about?': Donald Trump mocks Oscars winner Parasite
    US President Donald Trump has hit out at the Oscars for awarding Best Picture to Parasite, a dark South Korean comedy about class struggle and wealth inequality.

It is in Korean, and has been screened internationally with English subtitles.

He asked "can we get Gone With the Wind back please?" - a reference to the 1939 film set during the US Civil War, which at the time set a record for Oscar wins but has been criticised for its racist stereotypes and nostalgia for slavery.

Responding to the president's criticism, Parasite distributor Neon tweeted: "Understandable, he can't read."

14. Over_the_hill

Well I saw 1917. It was fabulous. I’m glad I went on my own so no-one could see me blubbing! X

emerald52, nomad, mothorchid and 3 others like this.
  15. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

I'm so glad you liked it. It is good, isn't it?
    You might have wept at "Emma", but it would have been for different reasons. ;)

16. Over_the_hill

I was on the edge of my seat the whole way through and jumped out of my skin a couple of times too. It was very powerful, I would give it 10 out of 10! Thank you to those who suggested it x

17. vannie

vannie Star commenter

Well I saw Emma on Tuesday. It was lovely and quite jolly. So there. Went to see Greed today which was good but not exactly a barrel of laughs.

1 person likes this.
  18. Over_the_hill

I saw the trailer for Greed - I do like Steve Coogan. Would you recommend?

19. vannie

vannie Star commenter

I would. He’s loosely based on Philip Green so prepare to be annoyed. The financial stuff is all pretty accurate and takes your breath away.

1 person likes this.
  20. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Steve Coogan? Blech. I thought people meant the 1924 Erich Von Stroheim classic with ZaSu Pitts.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.