1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

filled with dread

Discussion in 'Primary' started by moggycat, Mar 12, 2012.

1. moggycat

moggycat New commenter

Three parents evenings this week and a maths observation (double..gulp) next week, year 5/6. I'm looking for advice really on a decent lesson cos I know i'm gonna feel knackerd! We will be on Block D unit 2, and I was thinking of doing coordinates, treasure maps or something. However, I am struggling on how I would differentiate, how I would introduce it etc. I'm sorry to be cheeky and ask but if anyone had any ideas, please may I 'borrow' them? Alternatively if anyone had any other good ideas that would link in with Block D, I would be equally appreciative! Thank you, just in case!

2. moggycat

moggycat New commenter

Three parents evenings this week and a maths observation (double..gulp) next week, year 5/6. I'm looking for advice really on a decent lesson cos I know i'm gonna feel knackerd! We will be on Block D unit 2, and I was thinking of doing coordinates, treasure maps or something. However, I am struggling on how I would differentiate, how I would introduce it etc. I'm sorry to be cheeky and ask but if anyone had any ideas, please may I 'borrow' them? Alternatively if anyone had any other good ideas that would link in with Block D, I would be equally appreciative! Thank you, just in case!

3. Hey, just done that block with my year 4/5 class. Have a look at www.primaryresources.co.uk they have got some good intro slide shows etc and there are differentiated worksheets. Also should give you some inspiration if its not quite differentiated how you wold like. For your LA mine always like to use the Beebots for coordinates, good ICT link too. Sorry i haven't been really specific...it's Monday night and i'm running low on energy already...eeeek!

4. moggycat

moggycat New commenter

Thank you, Jayney..will have a look. Forgot to add, I have top set. :(

5. tammyround

tammyround New commenter

Coordinates - I have a very mixed 5/6 class with a couple attempting the level 6 paper this year at the top end and some who still count on using fingers at the bottom. It's very hard.
    When I did coordinates I differentiated by using all 4 quadrants
    LA: Used main quadrant of just positive numbers on x and Y axis
    MA: Started on main quadrant bfore moving into using two top quadrants - negative and positive numbers on Y axis, just positive on the X
    HA: Used all four quadrants - positive and negative numbers on the x and y axis
    1) we worked through reading them first with a treasure hunt style game - lots of mini-whiteboard work (I call it flashboard because they have to flash their answer to me at the front - quite high pace and easy to identify misunderstandings before re-addressing)
    2) then we moved onto plotting them ourselves, coming up to the board and explaining the process (along the corridor and up the stairs), before settling into independent work.
    For plotting, I gave them some coordinates they had to join and then name the shape they created - good if you've just done shape.
    HA can be given three or two points of a shape (depending on the shape) and complete it, writing the coordinates next to the new point- you can select some choice questions from SATs papers within this theme.
    Hope that helps x

6. moggycat

moggycat New commenter

Thank you so much, that does help. many thanks xx

7. http://www.topicbox.org.uk/R.E./direction_including_coordinates/
    http://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/maths/shapes/coordinates.html
    Some links here for coordinate games to play on IWB. There's a couple of simple ones using all four quadrants.
    The game 'battleships' uses coordinates. You could have the children playing in pairs? http://www.activityvillage.co.uk/battleships.htm or make your own a little trickier?
    :eek:)
    (PS - I did once make a giant grid on the playground to demonstrate coordinates with a smaller group of SEN children (basically just chalked it on!) The children had to pick a card, find their coordinate and make a cross with their arms (X factor sign!) Was good fun and did help the children to remember to go along first then up)