1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

figured bass - resources?

Discussion in 'Music' started by performerscollective, Sep 3, 2011.

1. Am teaching figured bass to my A level class. Have made my own resources so far as an introduction to figures and with short exercises. Have also written an introduction to writing a convincing realisation, again with exercises.
    I don't mind writing my own bits and bobs, but I would like to know if anyone knows of any existing resources, exercises for them to try especially.

2. Am teaching figured bass to my A level class. Have made my own resources so far as an introduction to figures and with short exercises. Have also written an introduction to writing a convincing realisation, again with exercises.
    I don't mind writing my own bits and bobs, but I would like to know if anyone knows of any existing resources, exercises for them to try especially.

3. v12

v12

Excuse my fading memory - but aren't there two books by R O Morris- something like Figured Bass at the Keyboard.
    We used them extensively at university (some decades ago, I might add) and they were full of useful exercises of such things.
    I might see if they're still hanging around somewhere in this cluttered house.....

4. check out www.mymusictheory.com and look at the grade 6 lessons and exercises.

5. Alphaalpha

Alphaalpha New commenter

Riemenschneider - and go from there! That's definitive! Good luck!

6. I'm not sure that Riemenschneider would be of much use except in the Bach Chorales part of the exam.
    My three best pieces of advice? Benham, Benham and Benham. His books are not only directly targeted at the AS and A2 examinations with specific examples for each exam board, they are also reflective of his obsessively detailed approach to the topic and the clarity with which he outlines the rules which need to be observed - some of which may have been 'forgotten' (ahem) by the teacher. You can't go far wrong following his books.
    http://www.musicroom.com/se/ID_No/0703931/details.html
    http://www.musicroom.com/se/ID_No/0703958/details.html

7. Thanks for all the suggestions. I will look into them all.

8. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Totally agree with muso-tim: go for the Hugh Benham. His explanation of figured bass is clear and thorough, and is designed for current syllabuses (unlike R O Morris et al). Dr Benham was Chief Examiner for Edexcel and, I think, is still chair of examiners for the board, so he should be very reliable for Edexcel techniques' exams.

9. trelassick

trelassick New commenter

But look at these very vague criteria from the mark scheme for Unit 5, in relation to the melodic aspects of a Technical Study:

8 Outstanding Distinctive and well-shaped added melodic line(s) throughout.
    7 Excellent Convincing and well-shaped melodic line(s) throughout.
    6 Confident Generally convincing and well-shaped melodic line(s).

This is a very different way of approaching the marking than Edexcel have adopted "for decades" as you have said in another thread. It is now increasingly difficult to understand what the boards are looking for in almost any area.