1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fighting for TAs

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by carterkit, Apr 27, 2019.

1. carterkit

carterkit Occasional commenter

How do you as Senco justify or fight for the number of TAs you need to support need in your school?
    How many TAs do you have per child on your SEND register approx? (I know registers aren't comparable but ...)
    How do you allocate them?
    How many/what other staff do you have to support your SEN learners eg pastoral support workers

Bit of context: Our SEND register, despite such rigorous criteria it causes me the odd pang of guilt, is way above national average. I've fought and largely won the battle against being landed with babysitting those who simply can't behave. However, we don't have enough TAs as it is and we're facing yet more cuts. I'm an experienced secondary Senco. I can show impact of interventions, cost effectiveness case studies etc and I'm well versed with the legislation but I am, like many others, crashing up against the MAT mentality. Our two local LAs no longer use hours on EHCPs which was double edged but was at least useful in arguing that we couldn't meet statutory requirements. I would really appreciate your examples and any help and advice.

2. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Well I think this is a tough one. When cuts were made at my setting it was always Curriculum Support to suffer .... and this in a setting of massive social deprivation and a Head who favoured the G and T element to ‘ secure ‘ the head lining figures for the LA ! We had very strict PM schedules for additional adults and very transparent policies for allocation of bodies .We had to be very creative in deployment and invariably prioritised core subjects . Baby sitting challenging students was rarely an option because we were awash with students with SEMH ( SEBD ) / complex needs so whole school training re BFL and respite in two ‘ bases ‘ were fundamental to provision. For a very brief period we had ‘many’ TAs in situ but it also made me think about the quality of individuals rather than the numbers per se . Sorry no help to you ?! Good Luck

carterkit likes this.
  3. Flanks

Flanks Established commenter

It is a difficult one, not least because the compelling evidence in Blatchford casts a long shadow.

I am trying to pull back most support from year10 and 11, to focus it towards years 7 and 8. Then in 9/10/11 only support the high needs / ehcp pupils.

carterkit and minnie me like this.
  4. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Yes this makes sense. Early intervention and hope that life lines are grasped. Some students @ KS4 will always necessitate something and merit the intervention BUT sometimes you have to question your provision and be radical. Desperate times and measures spring to mind ...

carterkit likes this.
  5. Flanks

Flanks Established commenter

Quite a change for our department. Also pulling back a lot of intervention time in favour of pupils spending more time with teachers!

carterkit likes this.
  6. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Well yes and this also makes sense given the emphasis on QFT. When I started out the term ‘ intervention ‘ actually meant something in the nature of targeted / specific / bespoke / tailored and relevant for genuine SEND students .... now it seems to describe anything which necessitates additional attention / time / catch up ?!

carterkit, Flanks and Wotton like this.