1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fifty Shades. Is it Kindle's fault ...

Discussion in 'Book club' started by Underachiever, Apr 26, 2012.

1. Underachiever

Underachiever New commenter

I haven't read it, but I have had the option to download it for 99p. I only take the daily deals and the free books if there's some chance that I'll enjoy the read - life's too short for anything else.
    So, in answer to your question, no I don't think it's kindle's 'fault' that this author is rich and famous. Kindle may be distorting the market, but it's still down to consumer choice. There have always been, and always will be, people in The Arts and showbiz who have no talent, but who are none the less rich and famous. They seem to be quite harmless.

2. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

There is a huge and very very clever PR machine behind this book. "Am I famous?" author appears on all major TV and radio stations, ESPECIALLY 'educated' ones like Newsnight and Radio 4 Woman's Hour. Women who listen to those stations think, "Oh, that sounds interesting, might have a look...."
    DO NOT FALL FOR THE HYPE - THIS BOOK IS ***** OF THE HIGHEST ORDER.

3. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I absolutely agree!
    I make no secret of the fact that I enjoy BDSM and D/s fiction. However, i would not want anyone to judge the genre (or my eclectic taste in reading!) by this trash!
    I give E.L.James full credit for very astute marketing. Although I think it was wrong of her to 'file the numbers' and essentially publish a book that has been available for free on the 'net for some time. It will be interesting to see if Stephanie Meyer takes any legal action - although I suspect there has been just enough careful enough to ensure the revamped (pun fully intended!) fanfic is legal.
    If you are interested in the genre, there are much better writers available. You can read their work online or download to an e-book. You could do a lot worse than look at the websites of the two authors I mentioned earlier.
    Thankfully some good writers are realising that there is a market out there and are going to publish original works both as e-books and 'real' books. It is certainly not to everyone's taste - but no genre is!....however I think it is fantastic that it is becoming easier to find! I just hope that people do not judge the whole genre by one appallingly bad writer!