1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fifties plus job hunters

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by laurelandhardylive, May 11, 2019.

1. laurelandhardylive

laurelandhardylive New commenter

Anyone recently got a permanent role in a primary school and over 50?

I'm in my fifties and job hunting. Had an interview last week. Four of us. I was oldest by twenty years. Didn't get it. Third interview in five months on top of 49 job applications. Either hear nothing or sit in a room of applicants ten thousand pounds cheaper.

I'm in this position precisely because I am 50, new trust, top scalers booted.

Any successful 50+ ? Am seriously considering giving up as it all seems pointless waste of time and effort.

agathamorse and pepper5 like this.
  2. susanrk

susanrk Occasional commenter

Really sorry you're having such a hard time. I moved school as part time senco at 56. Hope that's an encouragement.

3. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Occasional commenter

I would hire someone with your experience over someone younger as long as you interviewed better than them. There are significant problems when schools are staffed with new, cheaper teachers.

4. MadHatter1985

MadHatter1985 New commenter

Sorry to hear about your situation. My partner got a job two years ago at the age 55. It was in an independent school. At my current school (international school), last year, they took on one teacher who must be late 50s or even early 60s. (I wouldn't dare to ask her age!!). I also noticed that a state school that I worked at years ago had taken on a few older teachers - it is a school which was in an OFSTED category for years and was having trouble recruiting. So, perhaps try independent schools, international schools or tough state schools which struggle to recruit?

5. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

I have been taken on permanently in my 50s. ( secondary though). My school has taken on several teachers much older than me in the last few months too, one well into his 60s. It does happen

6. Braindead101

Braindead101 New commenter

Four years ago now, but I was taken on as a permanent full time classroom teacher on ups3, in my 50s. There are schools out there that value experience.

7. saluki

saluki Lead commenter

Colleges don't tend to bother about age. Could you teach English/Maths GCSE or functional skills? Could you teach childcare? Are you prepared to take a leap into the unknown?

pepper5 likes this.
  8. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I got a permanent UPS3+ TLR. at 50.

Secondary SENCo though.

9. barraband66

barraband66 New commenter

Alrea
    Already have. Been teaching on supply. Extremely challenging SEMH in a Special school on supply. I'm open to anything but it is soul destroying. I can't change my age. I'm even applying for mainscale so a 4k paycut,

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  10. laurelandhardylive

Already have. Been teaching on supply. Extremely challenging SEMH in a Special school. I'm open to anything but it is soul destroying. I can't change my age. I'm even applying for mainscale so a 4k paycut,

11. laurelandhardylive

I need to find one. Am ready just to give up. I can appreciate not being good enough at interview, but can also recognise when I've done myself justice and fulfil the needs of the school.

pepper5 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  12. becky70

becky70 Occasional commenter

Sorry to hear about your troubles and sadly, it doesn't surprise me. I would be shocked if my school employed a class teacher over 25, never mind 50! We're a large primary school though so plenty of experienced teachers already. Having said that, a friend who is a HT of a smaller school recently appointed a teacher on UPS because she felt the school needed experience. It can be harder for a smaller school to support an NQT and they'll need someone who can lead several subjects. Can you go for a post with additional responsibilities which an NQT couldn't do?

I think the options suggested by others are useful - independent schools might be a good bet or a very tough local school that's struggling to recruit. Also, don't rule out temporary posts - I was pushed out of a post in my 30s but went on to supply and then temporary posts and one of those led to the permanent post I have now.

13. andthentherewerenone

andthentherewerenone New commenter

I’m primary and UPS3. Got my my first TLR as Phase Leader at 51. Don’t give up!

14. GirlGremlin

GirlGremlin Occasional commenter

If you are desperate, maybe make a point on your application that you would be willing to discuss being paid below scale? As there is no pay portability, they don't have to pay you UPS 3 etc. Not right, but might open door if you are desperate.

15. laurelandhardylive

Most of the jobs advertised with an hour's commute are M6 only. Most say nqt applicants welcome. I don't bother with those now as that means that's all we want.

So even with experience and a 4k paycut I'm still 10k more than someone in job a few years. I've done supply in many local primaries. A full staff of 30 and no one over 30.

Also good 'ole academies some of which are looking for 5 or six staff I avoid as that means toxic workplace. That's what I left and I'd rather starve than put myself in that again.

pepper5, tenpast7 and agathamorse like this.
  16. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Forget it. Try M and S or John Lewis, unless you can face life as a TA.

17. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

I spoke to an LEA recruiter and he said the 'problem' with over 50 applicants (we are a funny lot) is
    a. nearly most of them want to work only part time and
    b. nearly most of them aren't willing to travel more than half an hour, by car to work.

If you are prepared to work full time and travel up to 2.5 hours to and from work each day, in other words, into the hinterlands and back, you will find something. Jobs in Inner City boroughs attract a lot more applicants. Jobs in the hinterlands, attract less.

I've applied to local schools in a MAT only to have my application redirected to another school in the same MAT, but in the middle of nowhere who are desperate.

If you are determined and totally flexible, you will get it.

Good luck.:)

18. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

No, that's not right. Talking about your pay in your application is not a smart move at all. If a school likes the look of you, of course they can offer a low as they think they can get away with-there's no need to give them permission to do so in writing. It makes you look needy and less viable, as if you have decided to write that after a handful of failed applications.
    Any informed teacher knows that UPS is not portable, so it could also seem pretty guileless to offer a school to negotiate below that in an application. Off putting in attitude.

19. laurelandhardylive

Where did it all go so wrong ?

20. laurelandhardylive

I have a relative who works for m&s, their reputation far outweighs the reality. Cutthroat has caught up with them.