1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fieldwork - Isle of Arran

Discussion in 'Geography' started by Lunar546, Dec 4, 2016.

1. Lunar546

Lunar546 Occasional commenter

Has anyone organised a trip to Isle of Arran? Am looking to take my A level students next year. Priced up Iceland but it's not possible financially. Does anyone have any recommendations?

2. NewToTeachingOldToMaths

NewToTeachingOldToMaths Lead commenter

I've not organised a trip, but I know Arran inside out and back to front. Excellent choice ... but also favoured by university geology courses so you may find accommodation availability limited.

Field Studies Centre and Youth Hostel in Lochranza are the usual places to stay. You have to be self-contained and self-sufficient there. The village has limited facilities (but it does have a golf course and a distillery ... )

Brodick, Whiting Bay and Lamlash are bigger communities, but I am not aware of any suitable group accommodation there.

The Blackwaterfoot hotel has a swimming pool and you might be able to book a session there if you want to fit in some leisure activities too.

Glen Rosa ... the most beautiful glacial valley I know. The Saddle between Glen Rosa and Glen Sannox simply awesome. Take them up to Bowman's Pass to show what an arrete really is!!

Walk up to Loch Tanna. The water of the river is a rich turquoise blue due to the minerals in the rocks (you may know what they are ... I don't ... but then I'm not a geographer or a geologist) and when you get to the loch there's actually a sandy beach there (the only place I've ever built a sandcastle 1,000 foot above sea level!!).

Coire Fionnh Lochan (also known as Correin Lochain) is an absolute classic tarn in a corrie ... it's a short stiff climb and maybe a good one to start with to get their legs working. They'll get fitter through the day.

Loch na Davie is fascinating ... outflow stream from both ends feeding into different valleys ... but the going is VERY boggy. Take 'em if you want to get 'em covered in peat ...

Goat Fell? Perhaps. On a clear day you can see the whole of the Clyde estuary, clear over Bute to the Cowal peninsula and the Arrochar Alps, across Kintyre and out to Northern Ireland. You don't get all that many clear days, however. I rate Cir Mhor more highly as a mountain ... but I wouldn't take A level students up it.

The old "Scotland in Miniature" tag is really appropriate. "Highlands" in the north, "Lowlands" in the south, with the String road dividing the two.

Incredible raised beaches particularly apparent as you go round from Lochranza to Catacol.

Excellent sea caves down Blackwaterfoot way.

It's got it all ...

3. Lunar546

Lunar546 Occasional commenter

Thank you. I will start researching

4. Kamit

Kamit New commenter

I did an A-level geography field trip there (as a pupil) in about 1996. We stayed at the Youth Hostel in Lochranza.
    Coach all the way from Kent and then a rough ferry crossing.
    Though my happy memories of sneaking out, only to find the teachers in the pub we went to, and running into a stag on the way back from the pub probably aren't the kind of things you could get away with nowadays :)