1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fieldfare in the garden

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lindenlea, Mar 5, 2016.

1. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

There was a lovely fieldfare in the garden this am. it looked exactly like its picture on the RSPB site and strutted about on the grass letting us have a good look.
    Other wild life news is that husband found a dead mouse in one of the traps in the garage. Not happy about killing a mouse but neither do I want it eating our camping gear and spare curtains let alone the choir raflle prize chocolates.
    So, the cold weather brings mixed results here.

cissy3 likes this.
  2. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Early this morning it was snowing and, as I looked up at the sky, I saw two swans flying through the twirling flakes like something from a fairytale.

kibosh, sparkleghirl, May2 and 3 others like this.
  3. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I think one had time to nibble holes in my fishing apron.

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Must be colder your way. We only have them when it's cold. Had a couple a few weeks back, but since it got milder again not a sniff.

lindenlea likes this.
  5. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

It's been a bad year for me, bird-wise.

Although near to the city, I got loads of t its feeding last year, but hardly any this. Very disappointed.

One year, a blackbird made a nest, and was sitting on eggs for some time. I had mixed feelings, as it was low down in a shrub, but right next to the back-door, in a very vulnerable position, but it was a delight to watch.

6. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

We don't get many birds - i wonder if it's the crows in the tall trees nearby, but have seen goldfinches and a green woodpecker in the last few months, as well as the usual ****, sparrows, blackbirds and pigeons. I have to empty the birdfeeders because the seed starts to sprout, quite often.

Lara mfl 05 and cissy3 like this.
  7. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

The swans have been seen in our lake. Really hoping they have cygnets that don't get taken this year.

Lara mfl 05 and cissy3 like this.
  8. May2

May2 Established commenter

It is so nice when you get the rarer visitors to your garden. One year we had a family of woodpeckers feeding from our nuts but haven't seen any for a couple of years.
    My daughter lives on a river in a boat house formerly an old ferry house. This week she had a heron in her garden and also sees kingfishers from her window. I think they must be my favourite as they are such a beautiful colour. Two weeks ago they noticed some animal spraints in the boat garage. They set up a camera trap and now have wonderful photos of their nightly visitor a female otter! There is a doorway from there with a cat flap leading to their kitchen but she seems to think they are quite timid creatures and won't come in!

kibosh, cissy3 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  9. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Wow! Mind you, watching an otter on film and having one in your kitchen are two very different things. i'm sure she's right about otters being timid :)

cissy3 likes this.
  10. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I see herons on my garden wall.

cissy3 likes this.
  11. Lara mfl 05

Must admit I'm cheered when I don't see herons in the garden, as they tend to pinch fish out of the ponds! ;) Don't mind them in the local ponds by the sea though.

lindenlea likes this.
  12. May2

upload_2016-3-5_22-11-28.png Here is the otter. I was just seeing if I could post a photo as haven't done so before

13. May2

Herons are fine if they keep to the fish in the river rather than people's expensive fish in garden ponds. I used to get one sitting on the roof of the house opposite me looking down at their pond. Until they filled in the pond, now I never see them near my house.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  14. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

That's a great picture @May2

Lara mfl 05 and kibosh like this.
  15. inky

inky Lead commenter

I assume you're referring to t i ts!

lindenlea likes this.
  16. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Yes indeed @inky ! The goldfinches were flitting around this am too. Had more birdy interest in this cold weather than for months previously. The peppermint essence collars on the fruit trees may be working too. The squirrel just hopped past the trees today - fingers crossed.

17. Lara mfl 05

Nowhere near as rare as a fiedfare but the little wren was creeping up the kitchen wall and a little robin has been out and about.
    We do have squirrels, who visit the neighbouring property but rarely see them as they go through the trees edging ours unless one is lucky.

18. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

We've only ever seen one wren here @Lara mfl 05 . They are so lovely.

19. Lara mfl 05

We've been lucky. The wrens must nest nearby every year as we've lived here 35+ years and every year we've had one (or more?). But recently I've noticed they like to sit on the gate to the dog run just outside the lounge window and then creep up the kitchen wall. I do love their daintiness.

Mind you living in an ex-fied made into an orchard with the remainder of the outgrown hedges all round does encourage wildlife. We've even seen jays in the trees and they're known for being shy.

20. Lara mfl 05

Ooh excitement, husband, sitting at the table in the dining area has just said, "Squirrel!" :D

It was hard to see among the branches (they're mostly pine trees along that section but it was one of the darker brown ones. We're fortunate to be in a 'red squirrel area and they range in colour from a light golden colour (one with an almost white section on the underneath of the tail) to very dark reddish brown and all the in-between variations!:)

lindenlea likes this.