1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

field mushrooms

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by nizebaby, May 11, 2019.

1. nizebaby

nizebaby Lead commenter

Does anyone else miss those lovely mushrooms with the deep brown gills that were so delicious fried in butter so the black juice ran out and all over your toast? I can taste them now but I haven't seem them in the shops for years.

needabreak and primarycat like this.
  2. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Might be a bit early, some farm shops have a few sometimes, though not always. Could have a wander and compensate with wild garlic and nettles. :)

3. nizebaby

nizebaby Lead commenter

Ta, needabreak. wWe live in central london, so a trip to hackney marshes (where there are meadows and cows) may be in order. I really miss those lovely things! No expensive or fashionable mushroom could be nicer than field mushrooms on toast.

We don't have a car, so picking-trips to the countryside aren't always easy to organise :(

needabreak likes this.
  4. needabreak

Ah true, perhaps give the Hackney City Farm a call if they are still about they might source some and it could bring them a nice revenue stream. o_O

You could watch the home grown grass roots footie over the marshes while you're there though ;)

5. nizebaby

nizebaby Lead commenter

I've fond memories of the downs, though the last time we were there was to scatter my dear outlaw mother's ashes.

Its a shame they're so hard to buy. The modern button mushrooms and their bigger cousins don't have much flavour.

needabreak likes this.
  6. needabreak

Chestnut mushroom are okish but they vary.

7. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

We get bucket loads of field mushrooms in our paddocks every year. Divine!

8. nizebaby

nizebaby Lead commenter

You lucky thing!

9. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I think the easily available portobello mushrooms are just as good though. Darker in colour and a different shape but they taste the same.

10. nizebaby

nizebaby Lead commenter

They're nice but the texture is firmer and the lovely black ink is missing.

Nizeman says they can have the juice.

Last edited: May 13, 2019
  11. captain scarlet

captain scarlet Established commenter

Field Mushrooms, great, up early [to avoid the maggots] over the fields, fresh picked and fried. Couple of years ago, St Davids WWII airfield, picked 2 carrier bags full. Lasted most of the weeks holiday

12. captain scarlet

captain scarlet Established commenter

Lidl do big open mushrooms.
    I am not a fan of the open ones from the fields, far too many mushroom maggots. Field mushrooms, picked real early as buttons before the maggies much their way to the gills part

13. BelleDuJour

They most certainly are not! Come and get some of our mushrooms and see for yourself!

14. BelleDuJour

We have never had a maggot in our mushrooms................never!