1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fictional characters you're supposed to like, but don't

Discussion in 'Book club' started by peggylu, May 13, 2016.

1. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

Angel Clare, a truly appalling hypocrite.
    Tess, a wet drip.

I'm sure I'll remember more....

2. rosievoice

Miss Marple. Irrittating old busybody.

3. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

:D:D

Shame. I loved her. Wish she was my nan.

4. rosievoice

I think it was Joan Hickson's interpretation that annoyed me, rather than the character in the books.

5. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

Tintin. Ugh!

I like Snowy though.

6. tackles

tackles Occasional commenter

Jane Eyre.

She's a drip.

peggylu likes this.
  7. tackles

tackles Occasional commenter

Supposedly Agatha Christie had her in mind when writing the books. Seems a bit odd as Joan Hickson would have been a young woman then, but there you go...

peggylu likes this.
  8. cellerdore

cellerdore Occasional commenter

The driver from "drive". One of the most over-rated films of all time

peggylu likes this.
  9. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

Never heard of this film. Is it a book too?

10. cellerdore

cellerdore Occasional commenter

No. Thankfully.

11. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

Anne from the Famous Five. Even taking into account the period the books were written in she was much too girly for my liking.

12. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

What's wrong with Dumbledore? He's supposed to be a great teacher and fabulous wizard but he constantly puts the children in his care at risk and fails to use his magical powers to help either them or the wider world.

peggylu likes this.
  13. Flere-Imsaho

And did we nitride about it, page after page after page.

14. toadman

toadman Occasional commenter

I hate Hercule Poirot

15. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

:eek: Why? A bit OCD admittedly but a razor sharp brain.

16. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

This is true I suppose, but it was kind of the point of the whole book.

17. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

When you're right, you're right. :p

18. Flere-Imsaho

That's such an odd autocorrect.
    It was but if I'd been Sam, I'd have kicked Frodo the Martyr over the edge into the fire.
    ;)

peggylu likes this.
  19. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

I'm liking your last post @Flere-Imsaho because I have to say it's very funny. :D

Yes Sam had the patience and loyalty of a saint, I wouldn't have withstood the trial either and would probably have pretended I hadn't seen Frodo sneaking off in the rowboat after the altercation with Boromir.

But... in defence of the story...

Frodo wasn't just a moaning, drama queen type martyr. The Ring's entire purpose and reason for existing was to corrupt all to its makers bidding and will. Both Bilbo and Frodo were deeply psychologically and physically affected by their time with The Ring and both of them withstood its evil much longer than any of the other races. Humans in particular had a pretty dire track record with any Ring interactions.

Frodo did good! Sam made it possible.

Yes, I do know it's just fiction ...honestly :oops:.

galerider123 and Flere-Imsaho like this.
  20. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Lead commenter

"Right Harry, your first day at Hogwarts? Come into my office, grab a butterbeer and don't sit under Fawkes. I'll tell you the whole story, it will save time and stop a lot of people getting killed. Like that nice Cedric who - let's be honest, should really be the hero of the series. He can actually do magic.

Here's how it works. Valdemort (it's OK, we name him loads and nothing seems to happen) really hated your parents for - well - 'reasons', and he's continually going to try and kill you. But he really cares about your education so it's always going to happen at the end of term. Nothing to worry about because when he killed your mum he accidentally gave you this magical protection which means he can't actually hurt you. I'm the most powerful mage in the wizarding world and I'm damned if I know how that works, but trust me, even when he kills you it doesn't take. If I was a complete idiot I'd probably put my hand on your shoulder and say ''it's love, Harry'. But that's just a typical teachers cover for 'I don't have a bloody clue.' But believe me, Snape and I are researching the hell out of it.

Why am I telling this now? Because if I was a complete idiot, I'd keep you in the dark about all this to build up the tension, but that would let loads of people get killed in the crossfire. So instead, I'm going to take this time-turner, go back into his past and lightning bolt Riddle into smoking boots before he learns magic. That will keep loads of people alive, and you won't end up with Ginny (really? Ginny?) Dangers of time travel and changing the past? Naw, not that bothered. I loan this to Hermione so she can go to classes she could just pick up the notes for, so it can't be that dangerous...

Oh, and when I get back, remind me to shut down Slytherin. I'm not quite sure why we have a house specifically for evil wizards, it was probably because their parties were legendary and everyone loves a bad girl. The same reason that St Trinians has lasted so long.

Should take me an hour, rather than a series of shelf groaningly heavy books. When I'm back, I can worry about more important things, like OFSTED, and how a house elf called Gove managed to mess up the muggle education system so badly.

(Yes, you can tell I'm on holiday)