1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fictional characters you're supposed to like, but don't

Discussion in 'Book club' started by peggylu, May 13, 2016.

1. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Yes, they could be a parable really. D'Urbeville reformed in a way. What you see isn't always what you get.

peggylu and InkyP like this.
  2. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Spineless numpty.
    Mind you, Tess is no better.

peggylu, InkyP and Spiritwalkerness like this.
  3. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Ashley Wilkes-should have been drowned at birth!

4. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

My mother refused to call Number One Son by this name for months - she used his middle name - as she could only think of Mr Wilkes

peggylu and CarrieV like this.
  5. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

Marianne Dashwood. Her modern day equivalent would be an emo, angsty teen girl who 'nobody understands' and ends up leaving school halfway through Y11 pregnant.

6. rustyfeathers

rustyfeathers Occasional commenter

I always thought Cathy and Heathcliff were MEANT to be thoroughly unlikeable, and that Bronte's novel was intentionally scathing and cynical.

Ditto Romeo and Juliet, to be fair. The fact Shakespeare chose to write them as younger than the source story is telling, and to me, it's always been a tragedy because of how damned unnecessary it was. Romeo deserves a damn good slap.

Snape bothers me intensely; or rather, people arguing he's "redeemed" by his actions. He's foul and thoroughly abusive. If ever I heard that a student's worst fear was one of their teachers (especially given how much Neville is anxious about), well... alarm bells!

akz and peggylu like this.
  7. akz

akz New commenter

All the characters are awful in Wuthering Heights but I think that may have been her point. Their selfish and self obsessed passions destroyed everyone and everything around them. People who have not read the book decided it was 'well romantic'. However Hareton and Cathy Mark 2 turn out ok in the end.

peggylu likes this.
  8. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

I agree with this completely, it's a very intense cautionary tale.

9. MonstieBags

MonstieBags Occasional commenter

Inspector Linley

peggylu likes this.
  10. MonstieBags

Bear in the Susannah Howatch books

peggylu likes this.
  11. MonstieBags

And the mother in that book about Kevin - the one they have to talk about. Read that and was completely convinced that the mother had warped the poor lad.

peggylu likes this.
  12. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

I haven't read these. May I ask why you dislike like the character? Are they worth a read anyway?

13. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

Agree.

14. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

Not read any of these either. Would you recommend them?

15. CaptainTuttle

CaptainTuttle New commenter

Romeo and Juliet and Professor Dumbledore

16. rustyfeathers

rustyfeathers Occasional commenter

Oh god, yes - Dumbledore is AWFUL

17. Urbanfaerie

Urbanfaerie Occasional commenter

Characters such as Frodo, Daenarys etc - they are supposedly such amazing characters but they spend most of the time feeling sorry for themselves whilst everyone around them does the hard work.

Characters such as Jack in '24', James Bond etc - Apparently breaking the law, being horrible (sometimes torturing or even killing people) and nobody minds them being this way because they're 'the good guy'

peggylu likes this.
  18. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Lead commenter

Harry Potter. My word, how I hate Harry Potter. He's such a special little snowflake, although he's not that bright, doesn't actually do much magic, and only seems to survive because he's the main character in the book.

19. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

Agree with @SEBREGIS about irritating Potty Harry but what's wrong with Dumbledore. He's a loveable favourite uncle type surely. :eek:

20. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

But @Urbanfaerie ,Frodo did have the burden of The Ring to deal with!

Totally agree with you about James Bond types though.