1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fictional Animal Needed!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by skt107, Jun 19, 2011.

1. Hi everyone! Anyone know where I can find an image or video clip of a fictional animal to use with my Y3 class? I want to get their imaginations fired up!
    Would really appreciate any suggestions!

2. Hi everyone! Anyone know where I can find an image or video clip of a fictional animal to use with my Y3 class? I want to get their imaginations fired up!
    Would really appreciate any suggestions!

3. What about those horse/skeleton type things in Harry potter you could watch the film clip and read the description in the book.

4. McLauz

McLauz New commenter

Agree with the previous post, that would be a fab animal to describe. They are called Thestrels. Or the other one in Harry Potter which is like half bird/half horse with wings is a hippogriff. Should be able to get loads of images through google or watch part of the dvd.

5. You might be able to use Switch Zoo for this. Whilst the animals are not fictional in the literary sense, they are definitely not real and are based on hybrids (which you or the children make) of up to four different animals:
    http://switchzoo.com/
    I've used this with Y4s and Y6s for descriptions and reports - both age groups loved it, as did I :)

6. Msz

Msz Established commenter

http://www.teachprimary.com/resource_uploads/walking-with-unicorns.pdf

7. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Google 'bunyip', a mythical Aboriginal creature.

8. how about flanimals ? I've used them as space aliens, germs and just for description writing.

9. Brilliant! This is why I love this website! Thank you so much everyone!

10. Thank you getrichquick! I went for a mixture of all your ideas in the end and created a random combination of ideas which the kids helped to describe. They loved it and they've got lots of ideas for their own now!