1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fiction to prompt discussion - rules, behaviour etc?? YEAR 4

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by lucywag, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Hello all
    I am an NQT starting in September in a year 4 class of fairly 'streetwise' children who have low concentration and are notoriously chatty...! I would like to spend some time on the first morning doing circle time type activities about behaviour and expectations etc.
    I like to use stories as openings into work and on my last placement (in a very deprived area) even the most mature year 5s enjoyed this as an approach, even though I was worried it would be too 'babyish.'
    Anyway, I wondered if anyone knows of any fiction books that I could use for Year 4 as a starting point for circle time discussion - behaviour, respect, expectations etc?
    Thank you

2. Hello all
    I am an NQT starting in September in a year 4 class of fairly 'streetwise' children who have low concentration and are notoriously chatty...! I would like to spend some time on the first morning doing circle time type activities about behaviour and expectations etc.
    I like to use stories as openings into work and on my last placement (in a very deprived area) even the most mature year 5s enjoyed this as an approach, even though I was worried it would be too 'babyish.'
    Anyway, I wondered if anyone knows of any fiction books that I could use for Year 4 as a starting point for circle time discussion - behaviour, respect, expectations etc?
    Thank you

3. Zadok1

Zadok1 New commenter

Might sound like a big job but why not get them to 'write' their own story. You provide the frame work and give them options. So you introduce the setting, in a school of course, introduce the nice character then the naughty one. The nice one falls over in the school yard and the mean girl says/ does.... They give you the action or what she says. The one who fell over felt.... they fill in. etc You could always get them to do the stories in groups and then read them back to the rest of the class or do it as a group and discuss the options as they go along. That way you can cover the playground behaviour, classroom behaviour and expectations along the way. You can make it more fun by using the names of the teachers in their school. Just a thought... hope it helps with ideas.

4. Hi,

Muckabout school by Ian Whybrow where it is good to be bad was successful when I used it last year in Year 4 to start a mini-project about rules.

Good luck,

5. tiffster

tiffster New commenter

There's a nice series called Stories To Make You Think which might help. http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=stories+to+make+you+think&tag=googhydr-21&index=stripbooks&hvadid=6177634016&ref=pd_sl_41jucl0ten_b