1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fiction books to promote interest in Science

Discussion in 'Science' started by sci84, Feb 5, 2012.

1. sci84

sci84 New commenter

My school (secondary) wants us to support pupils' reading by coming up with a list of fiction books to stimulate their interest in the subject. Not being a great fiction reader, I haven't had many ideas yet.
    Suggestions so far include:
    My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult
    I-Robot by Isaac Asimov
    Does anybody have any other suggestions please?

2. fiendishlyclever

fiendishlyclever Occasional commenter

The ASE once held a Twitter chat (#ASEChat) on this topic. Follow the link and checkout topic 9 (you might want to view the summary and the archive).

3. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

I'm currently 'The Lost Fleet' series. It's set in the future and humans have collonised space, there's essentially a big war going on and this guy has got to lead a battered fleet home. The good thing about it is that it's relatively accurate about the physics (if you ignore the made up jump drives and hyper net that is). Ships fly around at factors of light speed, battles take days to prep for based on the fact that you see the images based on how long it takes the light to reach the ships, it even goes on about relitivistic distortions on targetting systems if the ships are travelling too fast. I've thoroughly enjoyed reading them, they can easily be picked up and put down (although i found i didn't want to put them down mid battle!). And given that i'm dyslexic and i've been lapping them up i'd say they were also dyslexic friendly reads ;). Any physics buffs should like them.

4. Carl Sagan's 'Contact' is a realistic story of making contact with extra-terrestrials; but there's a lot about how science works; the politics of practical science (good and bad); the conflict of faith and reason; and especially the experiences of women in physical sciences.

5. The Russell Stannard Uncle Albert books: Black Holes, Time and Space and Quantum Quest
    Fiction to explain relativity, black holes and the quantum nature of the atom. Suitable for bright (upper) KS2 onwards.