1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fibroids

Discussion in 'Personal' started by clatkiu1, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Anyone got any experience of having fibroids. I went for a scan last week to be told I had a moderate size one. I have one child and last year lost 2. I want to have more in the future, but don't know if I should get it removed first.
    Any suggestions?
    Ta

2. Anyone got any experience of having fibroids. I went for a scan last week to be told I had a moderate size one. I have one child and last year lost 2. I want to have more in the future, but don't know if I should get it removed first.
    Any suggestions?
    Ta

3. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

No personal experience of fibroids but had many years of infertility and I understand fibroids can affect having a successful pregnancy. Talk it through with your gynae, they areknow far more than any of us. Have a look at this website, it may help.

http://www.womens-health.co.uk/fibroids.asp

4. Richie Millions

Richie Millions New commenter

Extremely common dear and most women have them (several) and are completely unaware. A bit scary on first hearing the diagnosis but really nothing to worry about in general. The specifics of your individual case however do need specific medical advice. Can lead to very heavy periods in later life and that is why some women look to removal.

5. I had a fibroidal mass, a biggie, a good few years ago. Doc thought it might be ovarian cancer & fast-tracked me to the hospital, & when it turned out to be a fibroidal mass, started talking about a hysterectomy. I wasn't too happy with that, so tried other things, mainly dietary. Got some great advice from a place called Higher Nature - lost the phone number but I'm sure it's findable. End result was it shrank to about 1cm & not had much trouble since. Long time ago, but as I remember, it was brown everything (bread, rice, pasta, etc) pumpkin seeds, some other stuff and they mentioned a cream that was absorbed through the skin called Progest, I think. All a bit tree-huggy but worked for me, & not exactly difficult to do. Worth a go. [​IMG]

6. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I had very big ones, I felt and looked pregnant and had very heavy periods. I eventually had a hysterectomy and felt brilliant once I had recovered. I was 46 though, so having more children wasn't really an isssue for me.

7. Thanks all for advice
    Going to look into a few things x

8. Sorry to tell you I had difficulties with 2 of my 3 pregnancies ( to full term) because of fibroids.
    And ditto the problems mentioned by another poster in later life, although I did not have a hysterical- o- rectomy.
    The menopause was the answer, but not everyone can wait that long[​IMG]
    You need to consider how robust you are to trying for children, and having problems. I was lucky, but the cost great for me ( not for them).
    Good Luck though.