1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fibonacci project and outdoor learning week

Discussion in 'Primary' started by emserata, Jul 3, 2011.

1. We are spending a week doing as much learning outdoors as possible. I am in Year 6 and have a talented bunch and thought Fibonacci might be a good project. I have a few ideas but wondered if anyone had anymore. I really want to enthuse them about maths and relate it to art and nature as well as do things on a big scale.
    So far I have: stick lots of squared paper together and plot out the golden rectangle (LA) and use trubdle wheels, metre sticks and measure it out for HA. We are also going to look for examples of the sequence in nature e.g. petals and start working on the sequence maybe writing it out on a till roll etc?
    Hopefully they will do lots of different types of maths as well as have fun. Does this sound OK do you think, any other ideas?
    Thank you, I have posted this on the maths site as well.

2. Sounds fun, very brave too! I don't know if you've already got it but we did a Spirals transition project a couple of years ago and our man Fib's sequence was used by the children to create spirals. Could be useful for a session if it's wet. Children really enjoyed it too, I'd use it this time around but I stupidly used it already this year. I'll send you what I've got if you like.

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I thought you were suggesting breeding rabbits [​IMG]

4. Try and get hold of a copy of The Rabbit Problem by Emily Gravett. It is based around the Fibonacci sequence as shown with rabbits in a field. My class loved it, and so did Year 6. The book itself is lovely with lots of details and possibilities beyond the Fib problem.

5. That's a great idea, thank you. I just woke my son up looking for it but turns out we have the meerkat mail one instead!
    Funnily enough we bought two rabbits the other week, both girls although if one turns out to be otherwise we could do a real life project!
    Thanks to everyone for ideas, the spirals project was where the idea originally came from, the children have enjoyed it so much I wanted to extend it.

6. Hello! I blogged about this subject! I'm working off an iPa n the go and can't paste the link. Google "I'm a teacher, get me OUTSIDE here!". go to the "Help Blog Index" page just under the heading. Scroll down to the Maths activities. since writing this post I've developed it further. If you email me via my website www.creativestarlearning.co.uk then I can send you the fuller, better version.

7. probably not good for whole class but if you have any keen readers "the Eight" by katherine neville is a fab story based on fibonaci sequence and about a chess set. i read it when i was in my teens -cant remember what age its aimed at or if theres anythin inappropriate in it. but might be worth a look.