1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fiat punto, to buy or not to buy?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by beckycharles, Mar 5, 2011.

1. Hi!
    Just after a bit of advice. Looking for a new (used) car. Need to get rid of my ford KA as it is costing too much money. I have seen a few cars that i think will be ok, a corsa, peugeot 207 and a fiat punto. To be able to buy the corsa (59 plate) or the peugeot (59 plate) I will need to take out a personal loan or some sort of car finance. However, I can afford to pay for the punto (57 plate) out of savings. I'm not sure about what to do at the minute, I think I prefer the corsa, but it's probably a wiser financial move to buy the punto. Has anyone got any of these cars and can give me a bit of advice about which one i should go for?
    Thanks,
    Becky

2. Hi!
    Just after a bit of advice. Looking for a new (used) car. Need to get rid of my ford KA as it is costing too much money. I have seen a few cars that i think will be ok, a corsa, peugeot 207 and a fiat punto. To be able to buy the corsa (59 plate) or the peugeot (59 plate) I will need to take out a personal loan or some sort of car finance. However, I can afford to pay for the punto (57 plate) out of savings. I'm not sure about what to do at the minute, I think I prefer the corsa, but it's probably a wiser financial move to buy the punto. Has anyone got any of these cars and can give me a bit of advice about which one i should go for?
    Thanks,
    Becky

3. Milkandchalk

Milkandchalk New commenter

I've got a punto (58 plate) and not had any bother with it whatsoever. £110 for 12 months car tax, economical on the petrol (though a 1.2 is probably better than my 1.4) and has really been a very reliable car so far. I intend on it lasting me forever!

4. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Hi there.....i have owned 3 puntos in the past and drive a fiat Idea now.The reason i stopped was they stopped making them(but have just reintorduced them) and the seat was to low for my aging legs
    Main problems .clutch and some odd electiral bits..but go one a fiat web site and see what are the main problems. The spares are dear as well.
    The punto is a;lovely car to drive and good on acceleration if you have the petrol engine.....the pre bravo cars are not bad in my eyes, I always found mine reliable so im biased.
    Do make sure you take a friend to look at it....run your hand down sides looking for knocks and dents and stand back and glance at the paint..some had metallic finishes which can cost money to respray .Listen o the engine and make sure it sounds smooth and do check underneath..sometimes the exhausts tend to rust if use low millage as it dont heat up enough to get rid of the moisure..i did have one back box fall off on me dues to this.
    vaxhall and pergot spare are dear and services...but again look on thier 'sites' and see the moans and groans
    In the end its down to your pocket but there should be plenty of older cars around which you can buy ans run into the ground.....look for the old lady /man who has finishe driving...but never buy of a man in the street!.......use a dealer if unsure as you can then take it back if backed witha warrenty.

5. Thanks, that's what i was hoping to hear. The punto is a 1.2, I think i will go and test drive it tomorrow and see if there's much difference between that and my ka which is a 1.3.

6. Thanks, some great advice there. I will just have to take the plunge and make the decision. This is only the second car i've bought and want to make an informed choice.
    B x

7. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

buy a 500 if you're gonna go for a fiat

8. I totally loved my Punto - it drove so easily and was very nippy. However I think mine was a friday afternoon job and it problems with the starter motor (from brand new!) and after about 3 years the head gasket went! Having said that everyone else I know who has had one had no trouble!
    This was back in the day though and my nephew has just bought one (brand new) and loves it and so far no problems.
    They are really roomy on the inside too.

9. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

I hear these are reasonably good to drive.
    [​IMG]

10. Mine was most definitely a 'friday afternoon' one too! I had one a few years ago and at around 4-5 years old, as well as the above, it also developed suspension problems, brake problems and the entire windscreen wiper system broke (in the rain!) - for this problem alone I was quoted £300 repairs, so god knows what the brakes and suspension would have added to it!
    So I ditched it and bought a Ford Ka, which has been great - and significantly cheaper for parts.
    I think its luck over judgement to be honest, but I would factor in the cost of repairs in case you get a dodgy one in any make or model!

11. Helena Handbasket

Helena Handbasket New commenter

My sister bought a second hand punto a few years ago and she loved it. Her and her husband regularly drove from Liverpool to various parts of Scotland - including Inverness - in it with no problems at all. I hear they are really well built cars and last.

Yesterday I bought a second hand convertible smart car and I really don't think I will last a week before I pick it up. I will probably burst with excitement by then!

12. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Oh yeah, someone with money for a three year old Punto could not afford one of them at six yaers old. Top Gear did not like them, and they have less room in the rear than the Punto, are higher on insurance, road tax, and fuel costs. Really practical suggestion.

13. I have a fiat grande punto and am not impressed. I was told that fiats are notoriously bad for electrical problems and I have had numerous probs with mine that have not been covered by the warrenty. It has cost me a fortune.