1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fiat Panda - Should I buy One

Discussion in 'Personal' started by alrightmebabbers, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Nee-naw Nee-naw...

Sorry couldn't resist. If it has sirens and flashy lights, buy it! If not, I have a Yaris and find it very reliable! Not bad petrol consumption wise either.

2. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I've had a Fiat Panda for nearly three years from new and I'm perfectly happy with it. For its size the passenger compartment is surprisingly spacious but there's not much boot space as a consequence. It'll still do tip trips with the back seat down, and we've even done car boot sales with it. The driver's seat is high up, it's a doddle to drive and manouevre, the Eco version is only £35 a year to tax, and when you're driving on your own it's quite nippy. It can get a bit sluggish on hills with four people inside but the engine's only 1100cc. After my (t)rusty old VW camper I'd say the Panda's been my favourite car to drive. Getting ours on a scrappage trade-in was a big plus too.

3. blazer

blazer Star commenter

6K for a new panda sounds like a real bargain. They were 8K three years ago when mrs b was looking at them.

4. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

If they are a Briggs and Stratton and a Miele you need a BMW.
    Black and Decker and a Dyson get a Panda.

But really the answer is yes.

5. dumpty

dumpty Lead commenter

Indeed - OP, be sure you are not buying a 1-2 year old car which simply has not been registered yet.....thereby meaning yes, you will appear as the first owner but the car is, in fact, not new. Many, many dealers do this, although they are supposed to admit to this before selling. It is a way they have of clearing stock - rather like when Addidas T shirts can be had for a fiver when they change one stripe on the arm sleeves on the 'new' shirt. Also, check it is an official UK version and not an import (although think this is more a motorcycle industry issue).

6. Thanks for the replies. It's an ex management car from a main dealer. It's done about 500miles. My old car has is a 16 year old Nissan Primera and has done 205K miles but it's getting a bit tired and thirsty.
    I like to think I'm decisive but I'n not sure I am!

7. Henriettawasp

Henriettawasp New commenter

Some of us LIKE ugly. It means character - *sniff*.
    I've had three Pandas. The older ones were sometimes unreliable (spark plug problems) but my much newer one has been fine. It isn't as boxy as the older models - so less scary in high winds - and even Mr Wasp likes driving it occasionally because the seats are quite high up and you feel further from the road.

8. It has possibly been thrashed around quite a bit - 500 miles in how long?

9. Oh I sing the praises of Fiat Puntos. I've had two in the past and they are fantastic and reliable little cars imo, and very roomy too. I bought one from brand new, a sporty version, and it was my pride and joy...until daughter, (who hadn't been driving very long) was in a head on smash in it. The car was written off but the main thing was that she got out alive. The bloke who towed it away said it had a good 'frame', as it hadn't completely caved in. I was still paying for the car though (wail!) so lost a lot of money on it.
    It's funny that we, understandably, love or hate certain brands of cars depending on how they perform for us. I had a VW Golf once that was <u>so</u> unreliable it put me off all VWs for life. I spent a fortune in repairs. Most people rave about Golfs. I hate them and now think all VWs are incredibly over-priced! [​IMG]

10. lizgaskell

lizgaskell Occasional commenter

Hi OP
    I have had a new Panda (04 plate) the year they won Car of the Year. I think. Loved it. It was reliable, bigger inside than most people would believe (we used to take it on family camping trips- really!) and cheap to run.
    I work with someone who lives in a very isolated area and they have a 4 x 4 Panda and they love that too.
    The only downsize was a kind of 'Pandasim' which meant that every driver on the road felt the need to overtake (even if I was doing 90 odd) rather like a caravan!

Hey, maybe it was Panda envy?
    Liz (get one)

11. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Just the sort of bo!!ox I would expect from CQ. Absolute ****. Yeah somebody is going to buy a brand new car and thrash it to death in 500 miles. Yeah right. Even if they had drained the oil out of the engine and run it for 500 miles it would barely be damaged.
    Why such a downer on Italians, they are superb engineers. Look at Ferrari and Maserati.

12. The car has been registered to the dealer. I suspect it's to make up sales targets in the previous quarter. As far as I'm concerned it's new. I'll be the second owner but as I keep cars a long time I'm not bothered.
    Thanks again for taking the time to reply. A combination of tightness and inertia makes this a difficult decision!

13. Where did I put a downer on them? I said I had no problems with my Uno, nor did my Mum with her Punto.
    Tut tut. Suck that froth back in, lad.

14. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

There is nothing wrong with pre registered cars normally/other than the snobbery of wanting one with delivery milage on it.
    The Fiat is totally reliable, other than the normal bits that wear like brakes and exhausts/i have owned them for over 15 years and used to get rid only because it was over 3 years old and to avoid MOT ing it.
    The new panda is nice with low tax and no congestion charge in London......i was going to get one to replace my fiat IDEA.til i found the roof was too low for me....but felt comfortable and all controls comfortable.I have found the modern Fiats have a good engine with huge reliabilty ////but I do drive the multi jet diesel////althougn one of the injectors hasdecided tp play up...even so with 3 cylinder functioning it will still go well....although i do have to get it repaired. the rest of the car has never been a problem.....even passed its mot with one slightly strange working cyclinder.

15. I had 2 of te old 'boxy' type pandas years ago and loved them both. You could cram loads into them. My last one had a double sunroof which was great. Anyone noticed how cars all seem to look the same?