1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fiat 500

Discussion in 'Personal' started by anon1269, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Why is this a woman's car? In fact, why are there such things as women's cars? I blame Clarkson and his ilk for elevating a consumer product to a lifestyle choice.

2. I was driving up the A1 last week at just below 70 mph (6 points for speeding on my licence has made me pernickity about speed limits). When suddenly I saw a small white dot closing in on me in the next lane. It quickly overtook me and disappeared at great speed in the direction of Newark. It must have been doing at least 100 mph.
    I was astonished to discover the dot in question was a Fiat 500. It made me see them in a whole new light.

3. kareneliot

kareneliot Occasional commenter

Because certain cars are driven/owned/registered by/to more women than men?

4. I used to own a suzuki Jimny (much to my shame) which to be honest I always thought of as a pretty girly car however the manjority of people I see driving them are actually men. I think there are cars which 'looks wise' are more suited to women but personally I'm generally not keen on them. Much prefer big fast cars :)
    (I am female by the way)

5. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Peoeple often unerestimate the speed small cars can go
    I own a Iiat idea and in form it can top 100 plus from a 1.2 lt engine..amd show a few bigger cars a clean pair of heels (sorry no lady pun intended)
    The fiat 500 is a good well equiped car for the price ....but at to clarkson and co...that smore like aboys club than real motoring show.They rhink anything that doesnt growl,slam you into the back of a seat on acceleration or top 120 plus is not a car!

6. Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious New commenter

That's why they will review the special suped-up editions of small cars (Fiat 500 Abarth is supposed to be pretty nippy).
    But I can't blame them - while small, average cars are good, they're exactly that - average (and all fairly similar). I drive a Polo - nice car, not interesting. Some 400bhp Aston Martin, on the other hand, must be good fun to mash the pedal into the carpet...

7. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

It isn't. It is a hairdresser's car.

8. beep, beep...

9. kareneliot

kareneliot Occasional commenter

Hairdressers cars are Mini One,Tigra,Beetle,Ka, Mini Cooper.

10. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

I LOVE my 500 so much so I'm shipping it to Aus when our permenant visa clears. Fun to drive, great interior fab fab fab car. I think a lot of cars can be as girly or as manly as you care to make it. Go for the pink barbie version with lipstick holder then its a girls car. The sport version in electroclash greymore masculine. Its a fab car whoever drives it IMO x

11. Cars were a lifestyle choice long before Clarkson got on telly. I seem to recall he liked the Fiat 500.

12. blazer

blazer Star commenter

They reckon that the Renault Clio is a ladies' car although if they are black then they are usually driven by boy racers.

They reckon it is the most frequently owned car amongst female teachers!

13. stopwatch

stopwatch Established commenter

Why is a Mini Cooper classed as a ladies car?
    The original was very much a blokes car as seen in the Italian job and with Paddy Hopkirk behind the wheel winning many a touring championship.

14. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Apparently the Triumph Spitfire was designed for the female market. Yup, good acceleration, nifty turning circle, excellent car.