1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

FGM

Discussion in 'Personal' started by InkyP, Jan 17, 2019.

1. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Given that this has come to court after two years there are probably other cases in the pipeline. It will be interesting to see what kind of sentence these people get for mutilating their baby.

WARNING the link contains a description of what was done to her. That poor innocent baby.

The couple involved, particularly the woman, are thought to have been practising witchcraft as there were 'spells' against the police and social workers found in their home.

For the record :
    Christianity is the largest religion in Ghana, with approximately 71.2% of Ghana's population being member of various Christian denominations as of 2010 census
    Uganda is a religiously diverse nation with Christianity being the most widely professed religion.

2. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Witchcraft and then stuff about Christianity?

Curious what this is about.

4. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

5. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Regardless of sex, people who take their children to foreign countries to suffer genital mutilation should be imprisoned.

6. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

very very very long prison sentences hopefully

smoothnewt, InkyP and Marshall like this.
  7. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

I did a FGM safeguarding course and was horrified about what actually happens to women. I am shocked it happens to babies too.

Hope for a long prison sentence but more education needed about this.

smoothnewt likes this.
  8. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

The problem is (one of the problems) that this was only discovered because it had gone badly wrong and the mother dialled 999 and then tried to explain the injuries away. It is very difficult to identify girls who have undergone this otherwise.

9. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

1st conviction for the crime... https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-47094707

137,000 women and girls living with it... 144,000 women and girls at risk of it...

Illegal for 30 years...

https://www.city.ac.uk/__data/asset...stics-final-report-21-07-15-released-text.pdf

36 referrals to the CPS since 2010 [ source: https://www.theguardian.com/society...ases-fgm-rise-sharply-uk-no-court-convictions] [March 2018 publication date]

Cases are being reported to the police
    but I'm going to guess it is a very difficult case to prove.

So we chipped an ice cube off the iceberg ... that's it...

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
    InkyP likes this.
  10. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

What's Ghana got to do with it? The mother is Ugandan. I agree a long prison sentence is appropriate, for its deterrent effect. Anyone who mutilates a child's genitals is guilty of a serious crime, in my view.

11. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

If ever there was a reason to ban religion and its absurd practices, I can thing of none better. It's coincidental I know, that this case is in the news with documentaries about the Fred and Rosemary West case, but they amount to the same thing. Sadistic abuse of women by nutters.

I find it impossible to conceive of what possible benefit can be found in the sex act if the pleasure isn't mutually shared.

I doubt it will be very long, because the perpetrator is a victim of a hideous religion that isn't so easy to get rid of. The people who ought to be locked up for eternity are those fruitcakes who propagate this barbarism in the 21st century.

smoothnewt likes this.
  12. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

The father is Ghanaian. I think the practice is mostly prevalent in African countries and is more to do with an underlying belief in witchcraft than islam/Christianity.

On the news they were saying people are cutting younger girls now, babies and toddlers, presumably to avoid them saying anything at school.

chelsea2 likes this.
  13. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

14. Oscillatingass

I believe this is an issue of child abuse rather than religion.

chelsea2 likes this.
  15. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Deleted as I was repeating.

16. Oscillatingass

What did you eat?

lanokia likes this.
  17. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Plastic food!

Oscillatingass likes this.
  18. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

It's an issue of child abuse sponsored by religion. Are to able to explain why any parent would find a reason to mutilate their child if their wasn't an overbearing cultural reason dictated by religion to do such a thing?

It's beyond my capacity as the father of a girl I dearly love to comprehend her enduring any punishment of this nature. I need to add that my daughter has never even been smacked.

It was never necessary. I treated her as I would have wanted to have been treated myself at her age and she respected me for that. If I said "No!" when she was pouring sand over over a friend's head in the sandpit, she burst into tears and I explained why with a hug.

As an adult, she calls me from time to time to ask my opinion on stuff, which I take to be a mark of her valuing my opinion. I rarely give it it but turn the conversation around to what I see at the salient points of her dilemma, but stress that it's her decision which way she decides top go and I shall respect her just as much whichever way that is.

I sincerely hope she is enjoying her sex life as much as her mother did when she was conceived, and that's really all that needs to be said, apart from saying that those deprived from sexual satisfaction from some archaic religious practice will not comprehend what they are depriving their daughters of by FGM.

It will never be stopped until the religions that promote it become an irrelevance.

19. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Actually not.

Oscillatingass and chelsea2 like this.
  20. Oscillatingass

Its a cultural issue not a religious issue. Some people who carry out this barbaric act would identify as Christian, others Moslem, others of no religion.

chelsea2 and InkyP like this.