1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

FFT Targets

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by ramaduds, Jun 21, 2011.

1. ramaduds

ramaduds New commenter

I wonder if anyone can help me?
    RE FFT Grades in our school are a little higher than all other subjects - we're one of the highest performing subjects but we don't look like it compared to FFT. We get more A*-C grades than all other whole school subjects, but lower value added.
    When asked why, I was told by the Head that it is because nationally RE does better than other subjects. I then researched how RE grades are predicted by FFT and found out that they aren't. It is judged against the same criteria as a whole list of other subjects under the heading 'Other Humanities'. Does anyone know what RE is judged against? Is this fair?
    I found that MFL FFTs are the same whatever languge you study. German does better in exam results compared to French. Does this mean that getting GCSE German students to achieve their FFT is slightly easier than getting GCSE French students to do the same?

2. ramaduds

ramaduds New commenter

I wonder if anyone can help me?
    RE FFT Grades in our school are a little higher than all other subjects - we're one of the highest performing subjects but we don't look like it compared to FFT. We get more A*-C grades than all other whole school subjects, but lower value added.
    When asked why, I was told by the Head that it is because nationally RE does better than other subjects. I then researched how RE grades are predicted by FFT and found out that they aren't. It is judged against the same criteria as a whole list of other subjects under the heading 'Other Humanities'. Does anyone know what RE is judged against? Is this fair?
    I found that MFL FFTs are the same whatever languge you study. German does better in exam results compared to French. Does this mean that getting GCSE German students to achieve their FFT is slightly easier than getting GCSE French students to do the same?

3. I feel your pain! I have no idea how the heck it is worked out but I too am against FFT Humanities GCSE despite History & Geography having their own predictions which are sometiems lower.I really do not understand why that is the case.

Also Raise Online only has full course RE GCSE and not short course for some random reason.

Doubly disheartening is when you are on FFT D - I have pupils with CAT scores of 95 predicted A grades!

4. ramaduds

ramaduds New commenter

All but 3 of my 32 Full Course Option students are predicted A*-C (Mostly As and Bs). However in BOTH history and geography, and other subjects like English - the same students have much lower FFTs (almost all pupils a grade lower!) We work in a school that averages 45% A*-C [EM] - and this is helped by entering pupils into BTEC subjects - There is no chance of achieving 90+% - It seems however well we do as a department (and we're getting around 70% - the highest NON-SELECTING GCSE subject!) we're not doing good enough!
    Short Course FFTs are completely unrealistic! And FFT base their data on Full GCSE results only!

5. Yes we are the same, FFT D targets for RE are higher than all other Humanities subjects and we have less contact time per week! So we are expected to get better grades on less time.. we must just have to perform some miracles in RE!