1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

FFT grades

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by caroline mfl, Aug 29, 2011.

1. Hi everyone,
    Please can you let me know how often your pupils achieve their FFT grades? My pupils never seem to, and I'd like to know if yours do. I'm teaching in a comprehensive school where languages are compulsory at KS4, and we use FFT D data, so if you're in a similar school, I'd especially like to hear from you.

2. Yes, we do use it and no, we don't meet our targets. As an MFL teacher of many years standing I look at the FFT data and my heart sinks when I think I have to guide student X to reach an A and I know only too well they have not grasped how the language works and just don't "get it". Or student Y who decides not to do work in spite of every opportunity given in additional hours to support and yet has to get a B according to FFT data.
    I understand your frustration and unfortunately, I do not have any answers.

3. sam enerve

sam enerve New commenter

I can't ever remember a time when my whole group all achieved their FFT grades. I honestly think that some schools are using FFT estimates as teachers' PM targets to get out of paying UPS threshold payments to staff.
    My yr 11 group all had A* and A FFT "targets". Even though my lowest grade was a "B", I will not have achieved my PM target this year.
    By the way the FFT website says that the grades it produces are estimates and should not be used as target grades, rather, they should be used to negotiate target grades.

4. They are ALWAYS far too high and I scarcely bother looking at them. I just change them as we see fit.

5. Ooo - thanks for thebit of info at the bottom