1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

FFT and KS3/KS4

Discussion in 'Music' started by cmf, Nov 1, 2011.

1. cmf

cmf

I wonder how many others this effects? If you get a student arriving in Y7 with FFT showing a level 6 at the end of Y9 but then you realise they are only arriving to you at a level 2, how do you cope with really bad GCSE results. When SLT bring up the FFT and your results are way down. Does anyone have a fool proof way of showing or testing at Y7 to get their real MUSIC FFT at Y7. FFT live only show "arts and crafts" which is what I am told to use?

2. Do your SLT realise that FFT are less accurate for music? FFT state this in their guidance:

Normal

false
    false
    false

EN-US
    X-NONE
    X-NONE

MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

/* Style Definitions */
    table.MsoNormalTable
    {mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
    mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
    mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
    mso-style-noshow:yes;
    mso-style-priority:99;
    mso-style-qformat:yes;
    mso-style-parent:"";
    mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
    mso-para-margin:0cm;
    mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
    mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
    font-size:11.0pt;
    font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
    mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri;
    mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;
    mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";
    mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast;
    mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri;
    mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;
    mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";
    mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;}

estimates are most accurate (over 90%
    achieve within 1 grade of the estimate).
    Estimates are least accurate for subjects where individual aptitude can
    impact significantly (e.g. Art, music) where around 70%
    achieve within 1 grade of the estimate.

I use a variety of things to set a target level when I get my year 7s including assessments from the first half term, instrumental skills, and their KS2 data. It's a pain in the neck to do and takes a while but it does mean that each student has a realistic target rather than one based on just their KS2 data. We can also revise and extend them, so if a student has only just started an instrument but shows a lot of aptitude, I can revise them upwards (not downwards unfortunately.)

3. your post raises so many questions, not the least of which is your use of "effect" instead of "affect" - but that aside . . .
    We were told this year that we would be given targets using FFT - however a number of subjects, myself included, asked if we could do base-line assessment instead. I have managed to reduce the number of students predicted level 7's by about half (there were a lot!!). And anyway, at the end of the year 9 I make assessments based on evidence interpreted by my own professional judgement - unsurprisingly most students meet their targets. It's a game we play.
    Secondly - I've never had a student at a level 2 when they arrive! If a student can sing a part in a round in time and in tune or play a simple melody then they are surely a level 4 - 3 at a minimum. Identifying simple musical features and saying how they change is also an inidicator.
    As for GCSE - I don't allow (at least strongly discourage) students from picking Music if they do not play an instrument (which we all know makes a lot of difference) or at least sing very well. Are you not in controll of twho takes your subject? Basically, from Christmas onwards in every year 9 class I repeat my mantra about how hard GCSE Music is . . . I then have a quiet private work with my target students adn flatter them by saying how easy they will find it! Yes, I get some students who don't meet their targets - but who are "within a grade" (which is, apparently 90%) - ocassionaly I get those that exceed it.
    More to the point - I thought GCSE grades were predicted based on Year 9 Scores - am I wrong?

4. cmf

cmf

Firstly, no base line assessments! Yes I have to make assessments at the end of Y9, however if they are lower than FFT SLT want to know why and this leads to 12 months of hell!
    Secondly, NC level 3 ( sing simple parts, improvise short patterns, combine sounds to suggest ideas, aware of notations, recognise the elements and make adjustmanets to their work). Sing is easy, improvise: well just clapping something which does not fit with everyone else could count but its not what I would be looking for. You would need some sort of instruments to combine sounds, they would have to know at least two different types of notation, be taught the elements at KS2 and finally produce something which they could adjust. The majority have not done 90% of this, the only thing they have done is sing in the school hall once a week!
    I do talk to every Y9 student and go through what is required at GCSE, I have even written a watered down version to teach to Y9 and NO I do not have a choice who picks Music at GCSE, usually the none academic to spread them around depts! I only have two guitarists in Y11 and one violin and one drummer in Y10
    And finally, GCSE grades are predicted from the FFT data. FFT live predicts what the student SHOULD be achieveing at GCSE. Once again, if these are not hit by the student, teacher is under pressure from SLT and no matter how well you lead the student to water....
    Sounds like you have worked on this regarding FFT and levels, would love to know how you get this across to SLT!

5. casper

casper New commenter

Anyone got any good basline assements they could share please ?