1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Feminism to be included in A-level politics syllabus

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Jan 12, 2016.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

2. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Define feminism and the syllabus and il let you know my opinion.
    If it mean marginalising men more..no. We should be all equal.

3. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Presumably you could look at the old A-level syllabus to discover what was taught before, Oldsomeman.

4. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

I don't know anything about the Politics A level, but I am shocked that something as fundamental to our society as "feminism" was even contemplated to be removed from the syllabus. The effects of misogyny are so deep in our society that the men in charge don't even realise they are there. They most certainly have to be studied!

5. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

''We should all be equal'' Exactly. And that's what feminism is!

I often think that some people equate feminism with 'man-hater' and this is far from the case, and is even more reason why it should be included.

paigeday likes this.
  6. oldsomeman

Unfortunately many feminists in their attitudes seem to consider men less than equal. i have no problem with women being treated as the same.My wife would kick my butt if i tried to exclude her from decision making choices etc All folk should be given equal chance,opportunities etc etc,,,for goodness sake I have even advocated we need another woman charge of this country instead of the hash men make or have made.
    Its not just teaching it which matters but living it.How will teaching it to folks of some cultures change when they blatantly ignore it when pressurised by families and situations.
    We have laws in this country but the ruling powers dont use them,politicians ignore them and places are filled on other criteria or excuses.
    By A level the damage is done........what i do as a Primary teacher to bring about equability within the classroom is not routinely enforced and within the homes jobs,for example,are still apportioned according to whether you are a girl or boy. I have seen and chastised boys being rude to mothers because they have been taught within the families that men are superior and you can look down on women.
    Its not to say it shouldn't be taught.but for goodness sake tackle the parents views along with your own.

7. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

Yes, but this could be said to be true of just about everything, not just feminism.

This is A level Politics. To not include the various campaigns for the vote (not just women's suffrage) would be quite an omission imo

8. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

I'm amazed it wasn't already in

lizziescat and RedQuilt like this.
  9. oldsomeman

I am not doubting that.but what I am saying is teaching it does not bring about it...we dont liive in and equal society.probably never will...but we should be working towards it....and i do see in many places that not working.Just the other day i was noticing that my Bulgarian neighbour,who used t cook, has now resigned the job to the new lady in his life....and was heard telling her it was her job. Not a good example i admit as this cause was a cultural one from their society..yet in real life look at the Tube and the way men treat woman there...although a few women fight back!

10. Flere-Imsaho

I don't think the teaching of feminism as a political theory as part of A-level is supposed to persuade people to the cause!

cissy3 likes this.
  11. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

It's A level politics! Of course it should be included, it's an important political movement.

Anyone taking the issue and having a gripe about men being "marginalised" is rather missing the point.

Noja, Flere-Imsaho, paigeday and 3 others like this.
  12. BW_2012

BW_2012 New commenter

Then ensure syllabus includes:
    * Funding mothers of the USA (Isabella of Spain and Elizabeth I) and other leading Queens
    * Misandry and related risks
    * The prescience of the two Ronnies' "The Worm That Turned": [with all due respect to Home Secretary, Therea May, and HM Queen Elizabeth I after whom St Stephen's Tower was renamed!]

13. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

Feminism is a non-issue that was not-solved several decades ago.

Next!

14. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

And your's is a non-comment.

cissy3 likes this.
  15. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

I am surprised and disappointed that anybody here at all has had a go at feminism. Clearly it is even worse than I thought and we still have a long way to go in equalising the genders.

And as a man, I certainly don't feel marginalised or any where near it. The equality see-saw is most definitely heaviest my side!

The bottom line is that of course it should be included in ANY syllabus of political study. What is there to argue about?

cissy3 likes this.
  16. Flere-Imsaho

Actually, in terms of what they teach in politics there could be quite a lot to have a go at feminism for. Glancing at the revision notes available for the old course it teaches pupils to be critical, looking at different aspects of feminism including the accusation that it was at one point a movement full of middle class revolutionaries who had little knowledge of the concerns and challenges real women face.

cissy3 likes this.
  17. harishkohli

harishkohli New commenter

Do you mean as a compulsory topic. Its already in the Politics A2 as an optional module (AQA)

18. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

As a topic cannot see any issue for concern, guess it is more the content and how it is presented that is the concern - but this goes for any topic and all kinds of teaching. Hopefully we are teaching children to have open but critical minds and that they are able to see through any hidden agendas. I doubt it, somehow - but do not see this topic area as any better or worse in that regard.

19. armandine2

armandine2 Established commenter

Depoliticalization - 'There is, in fact, nothing more political, than the constant attempts to exclude certain types of issues from politics' (Leftwich).

20. armandine2

armandine2 Established commenter