1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Female staff in boys dorm

Discussion in 'School trips' started by mccarty, May 1, 2011.

1. I'm organising a residential, but only have female staff attending. The centre is saying that we need some male teachers to sleep in the boys dorms.It is a separate room in the dorms. When we have taken males before (students) we have had to go in to sort them all out!
    Anyone know the guidelines for this - I'm in Hampshire, can't seem to find much on website.

2. For Swiss state schools this would not be an issue.

For British state schools this is definitely an issue.

Not a good idea.

3. I attend our residential every year, and we have only taken female staff for the last few years. It's never been a problem for us. Just make sure if you're going into the dorm for any reason, another member of staff is aware of it or comes with you.
    Hope this helps!

4. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I'm a male teaching in a girls school. Whilst it is an advantage to have female staff on a trip there will be times when it just won't happen. I would not like to take a residential with all male staff, I'm sure there is no actual rule/law against it (it would be discriminatory I suppose).

5. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I should add that we would never have staff sharing bedrooms/dorms with students under any circumstances, male or female!

6. Going in to sort out a male dorm is one thing. Sleeping in the same room with students of any age- male or female- is darn stupid.
    Any child makes any accusation you are sunk. Finshed. Forever. Like years in prison.
    Male teachers in male dorms with male students? Only someone who is totally mental would agree to such a thing in this day and age.

7. It is good practice to have male staff in attendance, more for reassurance than for anything else. I am female and once accompanied a trip of all boys and it was me they woke up in the night when one of them had a nose bleed, not the male staff member in the room opposite (possibly because he was also the Deputy Head). When we have had issues with staff:student ratios we have used cover supervisors, supply teachers, parent volunteers (CRB'd), local youth workers, the community bobby, technicians. Our school is a pain on this, I was once cautioned against taking two 6th form boys on the train to the nearest city (15 min journey) to meet their supervisors at the University. They wanted to know why a male member of staff couldn't take them. I just phoned the parents to explain that they were going with a female member of staff and was that OK, they were fine!

8. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Kritur,

I work in a Girlls school and I agree there are going to be times when I end up chaperoning half a dozen girls on a visit. I recall once having to look after 20 girls when the female colleague with me was taken ill and had to be taken home! This is not a problem provided some precautions are taken and common sense is used. The OP though is talking about staff sleeping in the student's dorms! A completly different kettle of fish.