1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Female PE Staff teaching Boys' PE

Discussion in 'Physical education' started by Dancer79, Jul 6, 2011.

1. I've recently had a career change from Dance to PE. I have previuosly taught PE but only girls and occasionally boys for dance. Are Female PE teachers allowed to teach boys' PE? Or should it be left to the males?

2. This doesn't answer your question, but I'm keen to learn whether it is actually a case of 'females teach females, males teach males'.
    I'd have thought that with anyone acting appropately, it'd have no bearing whatever their gender.
    That said, there's a job advert currently on this site https://www.tes.co.uk/JobDetailsbronze.aspx?ac=3006881&qry=keywords%3doutdoor&cur=4&rslt=9&UK=true that asks for a female, on the basis that she'll be supporting female students on expedition.
    Bearing in mind that the job is at a mixed school, one would hope that she'd be able to support males too.

3. I am a female PE teacher and have the 'pleasure' of teaching boys for PE but there is a male member of staff on at the same time with his group that supervises my class in the changing rooms whilst they are changing.

The only issue would be not having a male around when they are changing...

4. stopwatch

stopwatch Occasional commenter

The first school I taught in, although co-ed, taught the boys separately to the girls. Male teachers taught boys, female teachers taught girls.
    The downside of this was that there were sometimes activities where a more experienced/appropriate teacher could have provided a better lesson and teachers weren't always teaching to their strengths.
    The 5 other schools I have taught in all taught co-ed with male and female teachers teaching all.
    I think that the main issue is with the changing situation. I teach in a primary school where, when classes are changing I have to shout from the corridor to comunicate with the girls once they are in there. There are always other female staff around in the eventuality of a problem in the girls changing rooms.

5. gogojonny

gogojonny New commenter

Females can teach males, no problem.
    However the big issue is male teaching females. Too many 'womens issues' and the risk of accusations, which without souding stereotypical is more likely to come from a female pupil to male staff rather than male pupil to female staff.

6. stopwatch

stopwatch Occasional commenter

I think you could be correct in theory. However in 31 years of teaching I have never heard of any such accusations being made.
    We had a policy on 'handling pupils' (it was called something less obvious). This described and explained the acceptable ways/places in which contact could be made with pupils during a variety of activities (particularly applicable to things like gymnastics and trampolining where contact has to be made). It also went into detail as to the bodily areas which were acceptable/not acceptable.
    It actually arose as a result of a swimming teacher tapping a pupil on the head with a float to get their attention - silly really.
    The policy was approved by the SMT/Head. As long as you adhered to it, it covered both school and teacher.

7. We've got more women on the staff teaching Games than men, especially in KS2. Most of the time, the men take the boys and the women the girls. However, I've taught the boys' "SEN" group previously, as well as taking boys' football and hockey. It was mainly because we had four teachers on Games at the time, three of them women. Most of the time, it depends on who is timetabled at a certain time and what their strengths are. It also depends on what is being taught. Our male staff usually do the rugby and football, while female staff take them for hockey and netball. I've also taught girls' football together with our male HOD, while the two other female teachers took the boys for netball. PE is taught in mixed tutor groups.

8. Caroline_p3

Caroline_p3 New commenter

At my school all of us female PE teachers teach boys, this is because out school is top heavy with boys and we always have 2 boys classes to the one girls class. We don't have any problems with it, and always have a male member of staff in changing rooms.

9. My school is now looking top switch to mixed sex mixed ability lessons for all ages in PE. I am worried about the older pupils 9-11 and how they will assimilate to this change. We have highly talented and at sometimes "difficult" boys in a mixed lesson with "lower ability" girls. Is this how you guys have taught, or did you split the group into higher and lower ability?

10. Please i want to know more about the Edexcel Physical Education and that of the IGCSE Exam. Thanks.