1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Female builder company

Discussion in 'Personal' started by LittleBrownBear, Aug 24, 2011.

1. LittleBrownBear

LittleBrownBear New commenter

Dear all,
    I am after some market research really so have posted on here and opinion as they are the two forums with the most footflow so to speak.
    Anyway, if you needed general building work doing i.e tiling, painting, plumbing, electrics, plastering etc and there was a <u>qualified</u> female builder in your area, would you be more or less likely to book them for a job (if they were the most competitive obviously)?
    Would you be worried they wouldn't be able to do the job or would you think they were probably better and would you feel more comfortable having a female in your house (who is CRB checked) rather than some hairy male builders?
    Obviously some (maybe a lot?!) will have other halves/ relatives/ friends of friends that are in the trade but 21% of households are currently single women and that is set to rise to 40% over the next few years. Also I believe that most DIY tasks are iniated by the female of the species so just after some feedback really. I am aware of Pink Plumbers before anyone mentions that!!

Views on a postcard please.....

Thanks!
    LBB

2. As long as they have hairy *** can swear and drink tea...then they'd be ok by me.

3. LittleBrownBear

Thanks Bauble. No to the hairy behinds I am afraid, mininal swearing and can definately drink tea. Not too bad I guess!

4. Can they scratch their balls when the going gets tough?

5. I don't think it'd bother me at all. I'd get quotes and references for any building work I was going to have done anyway. If the female builder got the best results from those then I'd snap her up.
    I don't really understand why it should be a problem.

6. LittleBrownBear

It shouldn't be a problem at all- just interested in view points really. I have worked in the construction industry before (years ago) and did meet some opposition as they didn't expect a petite woman to be willing let alone able to lift and carry plaster bags, drive a fork lift etc, but I won them round by proving that I could and the state of my nails aren't a priority!!
    I am just trying to see what the general consensus is really and I am really pleased by the responses so far!

7. I'm impressed!
    Like poeme, I definitely wouldn't be biased regarding gender.
    And good luck! (I presume you're starting a business?)

8. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

There are some female construction workers in London..but not many in the trades that i have seen.They seem to congregate in the more affulent areas of london..maybe the idea appeals to the single and rich ladies.I have no problem with them working as a builder....there are many men builders who are incompetent and should not be in their trades..The few i have seen are competent, but seem more to be in decorating rather than the physical areas of plastering and plumbing etc.
    As to DIY..there are many ladies willing to have a go at tasks..and many make really good jobs..as long as they read and understand the regulations regarding some tasks first.I have enough here with chinese builders using push fit fittings to join copper pipe for gas or the indian DIY er who circuvents all regs to do a cheap job....and then gets ratty when you tell him it all need s to be done again to meet good practices.I still find then taking second hand wood off skips to do work in their houses......one did and ended up with dry rot for his pains!
    Are woman builders good.some yes.would i use them.yes if im sure of their ability.I never recommend a trades person til i have seen them work.so the same criterea should be applied to them>

9. flickaz

flickaz New commenter

As a single woman soon to be living on her own I would rather have a female builder/plasterer etc as I don't like being alone in the house with a strange man. OK I don't like being alone in the house with anyone I don't know but I think I'd prefer a woman.

10. LittleBrownBear

Yes, muting the idea. My parentswill probably go spare at the thought of jacking in teaching and my pension but I will start on a part time basis and see if it works out really. Although I don't fancy lifting heavy stuff aged 60 but I hope to be retired & living in Lake Como by then!!
    It's been great to get everyones feedback so far!

11. LittleBrownBear

I am the same- it annoys the hell out of me when they think I know nothing about "man stuff". I swear they see a young woman and add 10% on!! I would rather be in the house or leave a woman in my house doing something DIY related than a man I didn't know! Kind of that female commadardery (sp?!!) spirit, plus I would keep my CRB check up to date as I feel that would put people at ease as well.

Thanks!!

12. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

So long as they really were up to the job then i would have no problems. If they were as puny and short as myself then I may doubt their ability to tackle some tasks alone.

13. LittleBrownBear

Thank you Oldsomeman- really insightful post! Yes some men are useless but some are brilliant and you made me laugh at the copper pipes- really?!!! I think a case of " what goes around comes around" for those taking stuff to do their own houses- the cheek of it!

Yes I agree- I would develop a portfolio and have work available to show my skill level and I wouldn't expect anyone to book me unless they were confident in my ability etc.

Thank you!!

14. oldsomeman

As apoint...the starting is hard.So aim to get yourself known.As a woman builder you would probably pull in a lot of trade from other women nce they realise you are n the work load. but remember many men also need work and wil fight for the work and se you as a rival,and dont be to fussy to start with and accept tasks you really do feel confident in!
    60 is a late age to start heavy trades such as plastering ,and the physical ones of say building and landscaping.However there is a big opening in handy persons if its of interest.
    Im a heavy landscaper /general builder as well as a supply teacher, and at 65 i have had to modify my ways.although i started running my busines when i was 35 and have run it alongside teaching ever since my bigger 'firm' folded in the 1990s when the house prices collapsed.
    Even i wouldnt consider plastering,although it doesnt mean you cant..but make sure you takea course if you are not already experienced.and your electrical part 2 is important to you as it allows you to do other work now forbidden under current regs.Learn to know your limits and find 'people ' who can do the job well for you if you have a need.Its not wise to take on something which in the end trashes yoru reputation.......after all that is what gets you future work.
    I wish you well and i am sure that if you price sensibly, realistically and considerately you should do well as you would be a rare breed in the trades,,,,
    as a passing comment i have seen a lot of woman working in garden trades...seems many do well in maintainance and design>

15. oldsomeman

I might also point out that i have never had a problem with woking for single women........maybe they trust me.....but im often left alone in a house to work.......or even if they are working in the house//////but i wiill say they are fussy and demand a good job.
    Young executive women are the hardest.They think they can bargin down your prices and get a good job for cheap bucks.I dont charge them any more or less than i might a man....but i do offer friendly smile and listen to their requests.and refuse to do illegal tricks if they want to circumvent regs or shortcut. good practice........probably why i dont work for some other nationalities lol

16. Interesting replies. Mostly positive. Let me say right now I have NO PROBLEM myself with women building workers, however, SWMBO takes a very different view. She is very skeptical of a woman being able to do a job as well as a man in most areas of building work. Her only exception would be in painting and decorating maybe, although if she were paying for it, I suspect she might prefer a man. This despite the fact she does DIY tasks herself and often gets her mum to help her. Heavy jobs she expects me to do or we get someone in. Recently we had Patio doors fitted. That was a two hefty man job.
    Witness though, I tried to hire a gardener to cut trees and clear an over grown area as well as cut the grass. SWMBO will often cut grass and dig the garden herself but this was a clearing and up and down ladders job which required heavy equipment. I enquired and got names from the local nursery/garden centre. Several of the names on the list were female. She dismissed them out of hand saying that the work was too heavy and she felt it would not be done properly anyway. I had to ring up a gentleman who I was told before I was give his name might fit us in for a "one off" but was usually very busy with regular work. Fortunately he will fit us in after the Bank Holiday. She feels the same about builders and plumbers and electricians and anything which could be termed construction.
    That is her view. I do not question SWMBO. [​IMG]

17. LittleBrownBear

Thats exactly what I was worried about Jabed- thank you for posting and explaing as I am not sure I was doing a great job of expressing my concerns!
    It is very interesting that she feels like that and as I said that is a major worry. Although physically fairly strong I am rather petite but I can lift most things. Yes some jobs like patio doors, windows, external doors and some patio slabs are a two man job but I know my limits and would call in help for really heavy jobs that I know I wouldn't be able to do.
    I think I will just have to know my limits, prove myself and build up a reputation and anything too heavy would require a builders mate etc!
    Very interesting though Jabed- thank you and no, I don't think I would question SWMBO either!!!

18. I think i'd prefer a woman. Im not sure why! Probably because Id feel slightly more comfortable alone in the house with a woman (as usually we schedule anything like that for when I am off on school holidays).
    Im not tarring all male construction workers with the same stick, but there is always that uncomfortable moment when you dont know if he's going to be a bit of a flirt and a 'geezer' or not - most aren't to be fair but with a woman you could be fairly confident you weren't going to get that.

19. dumpty

dumpty Lead commenter

Reason I would struggle is I think women are too analytical and not prepared to take risks. So if the job was straightforward and covered by her book, no problem. As soon as it became necessary to adapt or think outside of the paperwork and training she was given, things would slow down. Same as working with female teachers - they plan in minute detail and teach brilliantly to the plan....but throw and unexpected spanner in the works and they collapse. Not to say the male builders are better, just that they will be more willing to try alternative methods on the spot (and save time, money) whereas the lady builder would stop everything and call a meeting to draw up new plans......at least that would be my honest worry.....please don't take this too literally.

20. I have NEVER planned to to minute detail and I certainly haven't collapsed when a 'spanner in the works' comes along.
    What a patheticly broad assumption!