1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

feeling very weepy and fragile

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by katemate24, Jan 2, 2011.

1. Hi all

I don't know why but as of yesterday I have started feeling really down, I'm assuming its probably new year blues, but I am absolutely dreading returning to work. I am a trainee and feel as though I haven't done nearly enough work and all I want to do is wrap myself up in a blanket and hide somewhere.

It doesn't help that I've started feeling a bit rough, headachy and just weak- but thats annoying me because I feel so lethargic can't get anything done and worry that I'm going to come down with something.

It probably sounds like I'm moaning but I hate this fragil feeling and bursting into tears for no reason- and i know its not pmt!
    Anyway thanks for reading

2. (a) You are coming down with something, in which case it will become clear what in a few days, or
    (b) you are becoming depressed because the job is hard and you have fallen behind with your work despite having had two weeks off, or
    (c) you were becoming depressed anyway and it just makes everything else seem worse.
    Which do you reckon?

3. maybe a mix of all 3 with a hint of feeling sorry for oneself and annoyance with myself that I can't be more relaxed when I've probably done enough work to get me through the first couple of days and I jut expect too much of myself and should think it a good thing that I let myself have a holiday.
    Maybe this time of year is just ****, its dark, gloomy, cold, not much to look forward too
    Maybe I want to curl up into the foetal postition and briefly be a child again so that I can just hide away and be looked after with no work or paying bills responsibilities.
    Maybe I will wake up tomorrow and eerything will feel better.

4. Kate,
    I am only in my 2nd year of teaching so my memories of being a trainee are still quite fresh! I'm not going to lie to you, being a trainee is exhausting and the way you are feeling is totally normal. You will never feel like you have done enough work, but that's the nature of teaching. This is a feeling you will get 'used' to in time. There is ALWAYS something I could be doing, but I want to have a life as well! I appreciate that it is more difficult as a trainee to prioritise, but once you have a job and your own class this definitely gets easier. Just make sure you have done anything that is absolutely vital. By vital I mean something you really can't do without - e.g. I have made sure that my literacy and maths plans are done for this week. The rest can just wait til you are feeling better.
    The best thing to do is let yourself have a good cry (I was on here the other day feeling rubbish but a good cry did me the world of good) and chill out. Do something you enjoy like reading a good book, watching a funny film or making yourself something nice to eat. You do sound like you are coming down with something, so make sure you dose up and get plenty of rest.
    Take care hun feel better soon. x

5. Thank you very much for your reply chocolate cupcake- its nice to hear some comforting words that almost wrap me up in cotton wool. I had about 3 hours sleep before returning to work today urghhh.
    I am trying to take more time to do things for myself, be kind to myself etc but it is not easy
    I am scared that I may be becoming depressed. I have suffered from depression in the past and the breaking down into tears is a little bit familiar. But hey hopefully it will just be a spot of the winter blues.

Thanks again hun x