1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Feeling very nervous

Discussion in 'Primary' started by rumpledskinonstilts, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Hello all, hope you're all enjoying your freedom!
    I've been off since last October on maternity leave and am due to return in September. The problem is, I get the feeling that the staff would much prefer it if my maternity cover were to be kept on. Apparenlty he has done an amazing job, brought in loads of new ideas, got on very well with everyone and changed the displays every week or so. I've been into my classroom a couple of times over the Summer holidays and he has completely changed everything: permanent displays taken down and 'dumped' in the cupboard, classroom resources gone missing, my plants thrown away because he forgot to water them ( I should have taken them with me, I guess) I'm not concerned that he wanted to make his mark and of course he would set the classroom up in his way but I can't help but feel a little apprehensive about going back, especially when my colleagues have said that it 'won't be the same' next term as he's no longer working there. On the last day of term the HT was actually in tears as he was going to be 'missed so much'. I just feel as if I have to work twice as hard now to prove myself again, although I know it's my thinking that's causing these feelings.
    Thank you for letting me vent.

2. Hello all, hope you're all enjoying your freedom!
    I've been off since last October on maternity leave and am due to return in September. The problem is, I get the feeling that the staff would much prefer it if my maternity cover were to be kept on. Apparenlty he has done an amazing job, brought in loads of new ideas, got on very well with everyone and changed the displays every week or so. I've been into my classroom a couple of times over the Summer holidays and he has completely changed everything: permanent displays taken down and 'dumped' in the cupboard, classroom resources gone missing, my plants thrown away because he forgot to water them ( I should have taken them with me, I guess) I'm not concerned that he wanted to make his mark and of course he would set the classroom up in his way but I can't help but feel a little apprehensive about going back, especially when my colleagues have said that it 'won't be the same' next term as he's no longer working there. On the last day of term the HT was actually in tears as he was going to be 'missed so much'. I just feel as if I have to work twice as hard now to prove myself again, although I know it's my thinking that's causing these feelings.
    Thank you for letting me vent.

3. Grrr TES ate my reply! Basically - it's perfectly normal to feel this way after being off for a while! Don't worry too much, you will soon settle back in and feel like you have never been away.
    Remember he was there for a relatively short time and doing his utmost to prove himself by doing all sorts of wonderful things - most these things are unsustainable over the long term, but when you are doing supply/cover work you flog yourself to death to prove that you are good enough to be employed as a permanent member of staff!
    People like shiny, new things. Sometimes they are dazzled by them, but shine does eventually fade. All will be fine.

4. Hi I'm also returning from a year's maternity leave in sept so can completely sympathise with how you're feeling. Just been in to sort my classroom and try to make it feel like mine again. Don't worry too much about your cover teacher and how the staff reacted to them-and don't try to come back in September and be a superteacher to make them forget about him! I don't know if this is your first child or not but since I had kids I have realised which is more important - changing a display or getting home to my boys. Do your job but don't stress if you can't put in the extra time you did before. Hope it's ok in sept x

5. ballerina

ballerina New commenter

I felt exactly the same when i returned last september. I was getting lots of comments about how she was 'amazing' and so enthusiastic etc, When i returned i settled back really quickly and soon had all the 'i so glad you're back comments' and 'you were really missed' etc...
    so my advice is just be yourself!!

6. becky70

becky70 Occasional commenter

Sometimes I think we end up competing with each other as teachers when we shouldn't. That's not meant as a judgemental comment - I've found myself doing it!
    From the other side of the fence - as someone who's done supply, temporary, maternity cover - it as as a previous poster said. There is no room for error. You've got to make a success of a maternity cover so you can line up the next one or even if you're very lucky get a permanent contract.
    He was obviously very popular but people are forgotten very quickly when they move on. By Christmas he will be a very distant memory.
    Just do your best when you get back - seek out those who you were close to before you went on ML so you see some friendly faces and get some reassurance. I'm sure once you get back into the swing of the job you will feel a lot better.
    Good luck - hope you are posting in October telling us all is well!

7. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I think it is very normal to be anxious after a long time away and I'm sure a few days into term it will feel like you have never been away.

8. Hi, don't worry... It's normal to feel like that..... The people that cover maternities are usually contracted staff or are supply staff.... They usually have to prove that they are exciting teachers as they normally want a permanent contract. And they would also like to be kept on by the school....give terms few years and it all changes. X

9. Thank you all so much for your kind replies and reassurance, glad others have been in same situation too so know that what I'm feeling is normal :)