1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

feeling very disheartened....

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by nikita2009, May 20, 2011.

1. Some advice please....
    I have been teaching for 9 years and was FS and Y1 coordinator for 3 years until 2008. I left this post due to a bereavement. Since then, I spent a year coordianting Y1,2,3. Then I had a baby and returned to work in 2010. i have been a pt Y1 teacher since then. i would really like to get back into EY, but am afraid that my skills and knowledge will be seen as out of date. i have made 2 applications for posts, and did not even get shortlisted. I feel that my career is going backwards instead of forwards. Does anyone have any advice or had a similar experience? should I resign myself to just being a class teacher again?

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Problem I have is, as an experienced teacher (& therefore expensive) it's really hard to get an 'ordinary class teacher' role. They can get an experienced teacher of 3-4 years to do that role a lot cheaper, & generally posts with responsibility won't consider me because I'v been on supply too long.

3. I'm a tad confused. Are you looking for a senior post or just an EYFS post in general?
    If you want to be a EYFS co-ordinator it would probably be a good plan to refresh your skills with this age group first - could you move to that age group within your current school or look for class teacher posts in that age group?