1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Feeling very deflated after consistently getting rejections.

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by ap1997, May 24, 2019.

1. ap1997

ap1997 New commenter

Some background on me. I am finishing a PGCE in Further Education but decided I want to go into secondary. So I’ve been applying to QTS salaried teacher training courses.

I initially didn’t get pass the application form stage. So, I changed my form up a bit and then started to get interviews.

I did a really good interview yesterday. The panel really liked me and I was answering their questions perfectly. The lesson I felt went really well too and I had a positive feeling about this.

I got a call from them saying that unfortunately they were not going to take me on for teacher training. They said my interview was fantastic and they really liked me as s person, thinking I will be a great teacher. However, they said I didn’t really have a big enough presence in the classroom which may be because of me having taught in a college for a long time.

I really feel let down and demoralised. The other interviews I knew I wasn’t going to get it because I didn’t feel positive about how I did. This one I actually felt really good about but I still didn’t get it.

I really want to teach in a secondary school but how am I supposed to do that when no one is giving me a chance?

TL;DR: Did a really good interview, didn’t get it and now feel ****** that I am probably going to end up being unemployed.

2. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

Salaried teacher training courses are very popular. You have done well to get positive feedback from your interview, but unfortunately they can't take on all the good candidates because there just aren't enough places. Could you consider the unsalaried route?

By the way, if you have a PGCE, do you not already have QTS?

agathamorse likes this.
  3. ap1997

ap1997 New commenter

PGCE in FE does not come with QTS. You have to pay separately for something called QTLS which is apparently equivalent to QTS but a lot of schools do not know what QTLS is. I would have to pay for the unsalaried route myself because I already took the loan out for my current PGCE. I can't afford 9000 pounds in tuition fees.

agathamorse likes this.