1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Feeling utterly trapped - please help

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by thethiefoftime, Nov 16, 2015.

1. thethiefoftime

thethiefoftime Occasional commenter

Please help me. I feel I am just existing from one day to the next in my current job (teacher of ten years) and that I'm not actually living a life at all. Due to family commitments (don't want to elaborate for anonymity reasons) I can't move away from my current location, which severely limits the job options I have. Two years ago, I took a few weeks off work with 'moderate depression and anxiety' and although I managed to pull myself back to working full time, I feel like those feelings of hopelessness and panic are creeping back again.

I would appreciate any advice you can give.... ideas for escaping teaching ASAP, or coping better...?

Thank you ever so much

2. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Doctor. Knock the creeping return of symptoms on the head. Then read the thread about other careers. Draw up a list of transferable skills. Start planning.

notsonorthernlass and Mrsmumbles like this.
  3. lilyflynn

lilyflynn New commenter

Hey pal

See my post under libby77's advice please.

You are OK! It is OK to be SAD AND SCARED. And if anyone dares make you believe only you can help yourself and subliminally imply you're on your own in this, you are not! Not all friends will understand though...

Take care of yourself, and keep talking to your doctors. I lost faith in my doctors whilst at university.. but 10 years down the line I have the right treatment.

And of course, take whatever time you can to do something good for yourself. It could be as simple as spending aminute to count backwards from 100 in 7s, or drink a glass of water. Every tiny action towards positive control helps. It doesnt need to be as complicated as long runs or expensive therapy.

Best of luck xxx

4. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

All good advice...mindfulness is REALLY helpful with this sort of thing. You have to remember that we are all now in one of the most stressful 'white collar' jobs...we have so much extra stress now, and we have to keep shifting into 'teach the students' mode, then 'administrator' mode, then we deal with parents, pastoral stuff, then the threats of appraisal and the stress of monitoring...you could argue not to feel these worries is a bit odd. If you really want to go...start looking for personal tutoring jobs...then shift down to part time. Could be the work life balance you need, but the pension will drop.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hullo there, I am sorry that you are in such a hard place at present.

Your first priority must be your health. Do go and see your GP to get help towards achieving good health once again.

Then start reading this:

Possible other careers

In my post at the beginning I set out some possibilities for other things that you might do. Reading this and seeing that there are other careers out there could act as the light at the end of the tunnel, and enable you to start feeling relieved, i.e. better!

But do see your GP asap, we are worried about you.

Best wishes

6. thethiefoftime

thethiefoftime Occasional commenter

Thank you very much for the advice. Rang the Teacher Support Network this week and they were helpful and understanding.