1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Feeling unwanted... Move schools?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by ttg2706, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Just a quick question....
    Do any other NQTs out there feel unloved, unwanted, ... etc?
    My year partner gets ALL the praise for everything WE do, and times when I do it, SHE gets the praise still!!! My TA, her TA, other teachers / TAs around the school notice this.
    It gets me down at times, but I've learnt to not let it get to me. I know that I shouldn't expect a thank you at the end of everyday from the head/senior mangagement. But, you know, a little something to keep me motivated wouldn't hurt. I work in a challenging school, have had to move cities in order to put 100% into my job...
    I know that she's leaving at the end of this academic year, so I'm wondering if things will change... (so are the rest of the staff)... but part of me wants to leave too....
    I mean, the Head has NEVER spoke to me, he sends messages to me through her! She can be really patronising, and knows just how to belittle other staff!

2. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

But she's leaving! This time next year, she'll be gone. There's often something that seems unfair or difficult at any place of work. You could wait a long time before you find the perfect school, so unless you're very unhappy, I would not let one person move you on. If you want to move, and there are other jobs to apply for, go for it.

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

It isn't just NQTs who have this problem. There is someone like this in a great many schools. Believe me, when she leaves you will be able to show just how fab you are and how much it is all down to you. Add in that next year you will have the teaching more or less sussed, having done it this year, and you definitely have much to look forward to.

If you are a different kind of person to me, you could try blowing your own trumpet an awful lot more. That way people get to know it is you who has done this or that. Or you can just seethe and know that you are doing a fab job and she is leaving soon!

4. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

Welcome to life. It may not be nice, but you need to learn to get over it.
    This thread suggests otherwise.
    I have sympathy for you. However, you need to address the deeper need for validation that you feel. Whilst you may get places that make you feel valued, you may work with (and for) these type of people for the rest of your career.
    If you move school, it could be a whole heap worse.