1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Feeling undervalued

Discussion in 'TES Authors' Group' started by mrajlong, Sep 23, 2017.

1. mrajlong

mrajlong Established commenter

An old favourite back there today...

Alice K likes this.
  2. Alice K

Alice K New commenter

I know I am repeating myself. Why when there is such a wealth of quality resources does this happen again and again? Yet again, the same author and resource appears in Top Picks! Who is responsible?

mrajlong likes this.
  3. teachercellar

teachercellar Occasional commenter

And recommended shops still haven't changed in over two weeks

mrajlong likes this.
  4. mrajlong

Do you ever notice these, or click on them if you do?...pointless promotion IMHO!!! ;)

5. davlae

davlae New commenter

I just wanted to say that I (like many others I'm sure) have been reading this thread and I totally agree with everyjing that has been said. It is so frustrating! Hopefully Tes are really listening and this (delayed) reply will address some of the fundimental problems with the site.

6. thinky

thinky Occasional commenter

This issue was first raised in the Facebook group on the 21st September.

It's going to be a very considered response.

krisgreg30 likes this.
  7. richardtock

richardtock New commenter

I think this sums up the situation really.
    A promise of a response with a generic indication that they're pretending to listen, a missed deadline, a promise to respond at some unspecified future point and increasing frustration from users.

8. tesAuthorTeam

tesAuthorTeam New commenter TES Authors' forum host

Hi authors

Thanks for your comments and feedback.

We recently published that one of our top search terms on / off-site has been on or related-to keywords around maths mastery and so dedicated some promotional resource to this topic due to increased demand. By investing in ways to drive traffic into the site in this way we see more and more people attracted to Tes to the benefit of all authors selling and sharing resources.

As with our GCSE Maths pages (a project still underway) and others, we want to begin the process of adding in further feeds of paid materials and work directly with authors so there is transparency and room for participation. Please get in touch at authors@tes.com if you have thoughts or suggestions.

On-site feature of resources

The resources which appear across pages on Tes are based on popularity, ratings, reviews, downloads and views, as well as what is trending on Tes. You can see these in part through our primary and secondary insights documents.

Where you see resources that have the ‘Tes Picks’ badge, these are resources that have been selected for inclusion mostly in content blog posts, again to a calendar based on our insights documents. However we are aware capacity for this is limited so we are also looking into the possibility of creating more teacher-led reviewer communities to extend our existing work.

We are now publishing in author newsletters and on our blog what is popular in the month ahead – keep an eye on these posts to take advantage of traffic and opportunities, and please do feedback on them.

Featured shops

For clarity, the commitment to gold and silver authors to appear on the homepage and/or hubs is in relation the promotion of shops, which we are aware is currently experiencing some issues and we are working to rectify them.

We’re proud to have you sell and share your resources with us. We look forward to sharing more about next steps for primary maths, other subjects and Tes generally, and we welcome your feedback.

Please do contact us at authors@tes.com and we'll be happy to discuss with you directly.

9. thinky

That hasn't actually answered the issues raised has it?

10. thinky

Oh I see now. If we promote certain authors as in this case it will have a trickle down effect.

Now where have I heard that theory before? :D

11. mrajlong

This makes no reference to shops only...
    upload_2017-9-28_18-6-22.png
    As @thinky has just stated, the promotion of certain authors will have no impact on my sales. Any growth I have seen is due to the increased number of resources I have uploaded and my own self-promotion. I thank Tes for contacting me personally, but if resources and top picks are based on popularity blah, blah, blah, why are my 2 best sellers not Tes Picks? Makes no sense at all!

mathsmutt and Alice K like this.
  12. thinky

In truth neither the events or the response are of surprise.

The use of three separate accounts to host those resources (each with different avatars and bio) seems wrong given the link and the subsequent endorsement/promotion.

It isn't honest to suggest the promotion of resources is automated according to popularity etc. when the driving factor of that popularity is the decisions made by TES as to what and who are promoted.

13. CurriculumForAutism

CurriculumForAutism Occasional commenter

The tesAuthorTeam say they want to
    Sadly there doesn't appear to be much transparency or partnership with Teacher Authors.

mathsmutt, thinky and mrajlong like this.
  14. mrajlong

Place value was trending, right? Explain why the first 10 pages were dominated by the new 'friends' of Tes...only been around a few weeks...my place value resource? Gave up looking at around page 30!

mathsmutt and thinky like this.
  15. richardtock

richardtock New commenter

I apologise if any of this comes across as rude or arrogant. I don't mean it to. I am merely writing my thoughts. If something sounds flippant or harsh, it's not supposed to. I do like the TES platform, but it often frustrates me. But bad communication frustrates me more.

What a non response! I cannot believe this took two days to compile.

Here's a few thoughts.

"
    We recently published that one of our top search terms on / off-site has been on or related-to keywords around maths mastery and so dedicated some promotional resource to this topic due to increased demand. By investing in ways to drive traffic into the site in this way we see more and more people attracted to Tes to the benefit of all authors selling and sharing resources.
    "
    This is clearly fair. However, not really the issue. Go to the resources homepage, or the side of any resource and the resources being promoted are clearly by the same authors or group of authors. You have to realise that if you want a drive on mastery, the best way to do this promotion is to be transparent and open with your authors. Tell them "there's a big push on mastery" give them a few weeks to tag their resource and then spend a day reviewing all those submitted with the tag and highlight the best ones. The way it has been done feels like favouritism, even if the most probable explanation is that TES has limited resources to highlight what it thinks should be displayed.

"As with our GCSE Maths pages (a project still underway) and others, we want to begin the process of adding in further feeds of paid materials and work directly with authors so there is transparency and room for participation. Please get in touch at authors@tes.com if you have thoughts or suggestions."

Except there's nothing transparent about the Maths GCSE page. I was asked to opt in to ... something. Then nothing. How is the process handed? Who is looking at the resources? What is the timescale for implementation? This is EXACTLY what I was talking about. Authors are the lifeblood of your platform! Inform them! Tell them about stuff before it happens! Not just that it's happening, but how it's happening and when. What is the reasoning behind it etc.

"The resources which appear across pages on Tes are based on popularity, ratings, reviews, downloads and views,as well as what is trending on Tes. You can see these in part through our primary and secondary insights documents."

if we promote a resource because it's trending, then it will generate more sales and more reviews, causing it to trend more. How do you stop this feedback loop? What is the click through rate on those.
    In addition : do I want adverts for other author's resources next to my own above the 'fold'?

"We are now publishing in author newsletters and on our blog what is popular in the month ahead – keep an eye on these posts to take advantage of traffic and opportunities, and please do feedback on them."
    I don't think people are annoyed that you're not telling them that Christmas resources sell well in December. Or that fraction resources are popular...all the time. They're simply not enough. We need metrics like : average sale price of resources. Is that going up/down/stationary? I think pricing is something many people are struggling with ( I certainly did. I put up my resources to £5 and killed sales stone dead. They've been massively up since the £2 move). What time of day where most sales made so I can target marketing effectively? What resources sold loads? I'd like to be able to select a category and see the top 10 free and paid resources. Like you can in an app store.

Anyway, I don't want to seem like I'm picking you apart.

The point is that this doesn't really reflect thinking on the points raised. Here are some explicit points I am raising now.

- How do we make sure that promotion is fair, transparent and more regular? This would be less of an issue if discoverability was better. I think discoverability is one of the three major issues with the platform. I would be interested in hearing some metrics about click throughs for the main resources page.
    -How does TES make sure that it's authors feel informed? Like it or not, you're now essentially a web platform. You need to start acting more like one. Communication can't just be in promotion emails about Emily. We need regular contact and meaningful timelines and roadmaps.
    -I can't speak for others but I certainly feel plagiarism is giving TES a bad name, along with resources that are £3 for a word file with a single large letter on (I have seen these multiple times). What are TES trying to do to make sure the average quality is high? What are your plans? Do you even agree it's an issue?
    -Who is the head honcho(honchora?)? Personalise this for us. I know who Musk is. I know who Bezos is. Who is MR/MS TES resource. Let's have some talk from someone in charge rather than 'the team'

16. Alice K

Alice K New commenter

Absolutely agree! Obviously constant exposure and promotion will result in very healthy sales. That is a no brainer!
    It also suggests to viewers who log on that these are the ultimate resources to purchase. That is acceptable if there is a regular rotation and authors are offered the opportunity 'to be seen'.
    How does the constant exposure of a select few help other authors when their quality resources never see the light of day?
    This seems a very unfair way to treat genuine professionals who take time and effort to produce resources that without doubt will help teaching and learning.
    I have several resources that are TES recommended but couldn't tell you when that last happened! I appreciate that there are many more authors contributing but feel very undervalued.

17. mrajlong

After all this look what's top in the resources homepage again...
    upload_2017-9-29_9-1-12.png

18. EC_Resources

EC_Resources Occasional commenter

[​IMG]

I quite like these emails about Emily

Attached Files:

19. LivelyLearning

LivelyLearning New commenter

Me too!

EC_Resources likes this.
  20. mrajlong

Just been checking the reviews for the over-promoted authors. Some seem a bit "dodgy". The reviews for these three resources (I haven't checked them all) are all by the same people, on the same day, all 5 stars and all left no comment. As an author on here I know this is unprecedented. What do you guys think?
    https://www.tes.com/teaching-resource/year-6-four-operations-week-4-division-11705469
    https://www.tes.com/teaching-resour...-week-5-factors-multiples-and-primes-11705951
    https://www.tes.com/teaching-resour...uares-order-of-operations-estimation-11706123
    I didn't investigate any further as I was starting to get miffed...

LivelyLearning and mathsmutt like this.