1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Feeling undervalued

Discussion in 'TES Authors' Group' started by mrajlong, Sep 23, 2017.

1. mrajlong

mrajlong Established commenter

So (prepare for a bit of a moan), I have been making resources for 3 years now and have made Tes a fair whack of dosh . During this time, I have been promoted so rarely I am getting really peeved. Now, if all were in the same boat, I would begrudgingly accept this...but we are NOT. I think we all know where we would go for kapok tree or stone age planning. Why? Because they ARE promoted by Tes. On the resources homepage now, I notice a resource for a fiver, that was created 24 days ago. It already has 7 reviews, Tes top pick status and was included in a blog and has probably earned the author a wedge of cash. How? Why was it chosen to be promoted? The author hasn't even got gold status. @TES Resource Team I am not happy about this ignoring of your established gold authors who were promised a bespoke service and promotion. Or the apparent favouritism for certain authors. Also we have NEVER been answered in the forums or elsewhere about the issue of promotion or given any guidance about how it is organised. You will start to lose us...

2. Littlesherbetlemon

Littlesherbetlemon Occasional commenter

@mrajlong I was pleased to see your KS2 Time Problem Solving resource being promoted the other day but I know what you mean. I had a "Really?!" moment the other day when I saw the same name 3 or 4 times on the same page again. It doesn't seem fair. I have been making resources for a year now and am not at Gold status yet, mainly because I like to take my time and make something that is worthwhile for someone to pay for it. I get cross when I see people selling just 1 wordsearch for £3!
    I just wish that TES had some way for sorting out the resources that are promoted so that they are fair - even spread of authors, timely - so we don't see Christmas stuff until October and not June and change frequently. I'm not a computer whizz but there must be something that can be done so it doesn't take us to point out that an end of 2016 quiz shouldn't be promoted in May 2017!

Krazikas, Alice K and mrajlong like this.
  3. mrajlong

Obviously, I missed this (maybe a notification would be nice). Unfortunately, I did not sell any. I'm not complaining about sales, just the lack of equal promotion. My sales are better than last Sept with a week or so left :)

Krazikas and Littlesherbetlemon like this.
  4. Littlesherbetlemon

Littlesherbetlemon Occasional commenter

I completely agree with you @mrajlong it is not about the sales, it is the lack for equal promotion. Pleased you have had a good September. Me too, although my kids seem to think that they will be receiving bigger birthday pressies because of it!! ;)

Krazikas and mrajlong like this.
  5. wendylk

wendylk New commenter

Sorry - I haven't posted here before, so apologies if this post is technically all wrong!

While I agree with your post in general @mrajlong, I don't think calling out a fellow author in public is the right thing to do. Nothing is fair and equal in this world - we all know that - and of course it can be extremely annoying! However, it is not personally this author's fault, so I believe the point is possible to make with embarrassing anyone. This is the second post in this forum that I have seen regarding this author. Is it not possible to be happy for others, whilst bemoaning our own lot?

When posting publicly, it is important to be aware that there are many people reading the post, even if they don't post themselves.

6. Alice K

Alice K New commenter

I agree with @mrajlong about the constant promotion of resources on 'Top Picks' again and again and again!
    This issue has been flagged up before with no explanation or justification as to why this is constantly happening. Surely, there should be some rotation to promote equality, when so many authors take time and effort to produce quality resources at a reasonable price.
    I don't think that mrajlong was calling out a fellow author as such. I believe he was highlighting that it is hard to continually see the same resource featured either in first position or occasionally second position in 'Top Picks'. In essence, this should not be happening.
    So I do sympathise with the OP and share his frustration.
    I have always wished other authors well and continue to do so.

7. mrajlong

No calling out. I Attribute no blame to this or any author. Just highlighting that I am aware of the resources of some authors because of the promotion they seem to be getting over other authors. At no point in my post did I say it was their fault or attempt to embarrass them, so I'm a bit confused by your assertions :confused: We were promised promotion and a bespoke service for becoming gold authors and it did not happen. However, bronze authors ARE being promoted over gold authors. Fair? No. Just life? Probably. Am I within my rights to highlight it? Yes.

8. mrajlong

Also, I did not name the author. If you do know the author's name, it kind of proves my point! ;)

joannammarsh and Krazikas like this.
  9. mrajlong

upload_2017-9-23_19-51-58.png

Bronze authors ARE being featured on the resources homepage. Gold authors are NOT receiving a VIP service (well most of them anyway).

10. thinky

thinky Occasional commenter

I've felt similarly for a long time now. I haven't put up any new resources since before the summer and I've no plans to add any for the foreseeable.

Instead I'm focusing on updating my own site and will then prioritise that and TPT.

TES has seen ever changing goal posts and failed promises.

I liked the idea of being involved in a new area of publishing. I hoped TES would win people over with the benefits of digital.

This hasn't been my experience though. Instead it's a numbers game. The huge promotion given to one particular author recently, who doesn't qualify for the promises of silver or gold but nonetheless had their resources across three accounts promoted in a post just a few hours after they were uploaded, shows the degree to which all are not equal (I am assuming the identically presented resources ultimately belong to the same author/company).

Of course in the end this is just business. For me personally though I'll be focusing my business here considerably less until/unless things change.

11. thinky

That does look very bad.

CurriculumForAutism and mrajlong like this.
  12. mrajlong

On the resources homepage (when viewed from kindle), 2 of the authors are bronze authors...hilarious, if it wasn't so annoyingly and frustratingly disappointing. @TES Resource Team please do something about this. Or explain it. Or change your policy. Or ,God forbid, make it fairer.

Does Tes enter into agreements with individuals/companies or have relationships with individuals/companies that differ to the 'sitting in the front room at the computer' authors? I think I would like to know. May just be being paranoid...

hoppytimes, Alice K and Krazikas like this.
  13. davlae

davlae New commenter

I really think that they need a more sophisticated system which monitors the success of advertising on sales. I don't mind resources getting a bit more exposure if they are fantastic - and this will, of course, motivate authors to produce even better resources.

Come on Tes - it is in everyone's interest to let people know about the fantastic resources out there!

Alice K and Krazikas like this.
  14. richardtock

richardtock New commenter

My thoughts

1) There's a lack of resources at TES. Between taking down copyright infringing work and making sure everything is running smoothly, I'm not sure that they have the staff to highlight resources. Of course they could automate the process, highlighting the most sold or something similar, like the iTunes charts. This would require a reorganisation of the resources homepage, though, which obviously requires investment. TES might also have some metrics about how many people visit the resource landing page compared to just searching, and it may be not worth the investment. *

2) But TES need to communicate this. I have found the communication from TES very poor. Other publishing platforms have regular updates on where they are going, their philosophy etc. TES might not be the size of Amazon Kindle etc, but they still need to hold regular town halls with their authors. Maybe doing a live chat every so often. A keynote every year would be good too, even if the production values aren't Apple level. They need to communication what is going on. How are things going? What percentage of sales are by similar authors etc. What are the plans for the platform over the next twelve months? I'm not even sure who is ultimately in charge. That person should be viable and present.

3) I suspect TES is not receiving the rewards it thought it would. The system must have cost a fair whack to implement and maintain. Yet I twigged the other day, looking at my sales and wondering why some sales had tax removed and others didn't. A LOT of my sales are from vouchers (no tax). This is fine, but I suspect that TES are struggling to convert this into real money coming into the system.

4) Are TES' priorities ours? It seems like a lot of authors on here talk about discoverability. They don't want lots of **** clogging up the store and they want good stuff easy to find. I feel like TES feel like their problem is volume. They want more authors/ resources rather than extracting value out of the ones they have. This is probably a good strategy short term, but not long term. Again, I only suspect this. I don't know. Because communication is lacking.

* of course the landing page isn't the only place these resources are highlighted, which is frustrating.

15. Alice K

Alice K New commenter

Great post that certainly gives food for thought.

16. Maths_Shed

Maths_Shed Occasional commenter

Wasn't this supposed to be addressed by the 'Hubs' that we were asked to produce resources for but have still not been promoted despite them being live?

17. richardtock

richardtock New commenter

I suppose so, but who is collating this stuff? I gather it's the TES panel. Who are all volunteers. Asked to give up their time for free to shift through paid for resources. If this is the case it could reveal why progress is slow.

18. mrajlong

No response today to any of the issues raised in this thread...2 bronze authors on my resource homepage today...and one of them with a different username who's resources look VERY similar to another bronze author who was featured last week. I presume this is the person @thinky highlighted in his earlier post! Can you explain this @TES Resource Team? And address some of the concerns of favouritism in this thread (no platitudes, please)!

19. mrajlong

Quite a few authors riding the White Rose wave at the moment. Is this allowed?

20. thinky

Those same resources have also had dedicated facebook videos and been promoted across TES social media.

I suspect it's less favouritism and more a business decision to capitalise on what is obviously very topical.

The nature of how it's been done and the message it sends to most other authors isn't great though.

These particular resources appear to have been authored by a White Rose employee and presumably they have some sort of arrangement for that. Whether they'll now seek to protect their (now commercial) interests against other people using their brand on here will be interesting...

Likewise observing which other brands end up being promoted similarly in the near future.

A great shame because there had been a nice independent publishing type community developing until now.

Alice K and mrajlong like this.