1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Feeling undervalued!

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by splatte, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Wondering what people think of this situation. Every year our school offers revision sessions in the Easter holidays for Year 11 students + staff have the chance to teach some of these sessions for some extra pay. I have tried to do this on a number of occasions to support the students in preparing their Unit 3 GCSE exam. It's always a struggle to get the senior teachers to accept that I won't just be 'letting them get on with the play' + this year I have been effectively told that I can't do it because it's not proper revision in the traditional sense. In all honesty I am not majorly concerned about the money as I do so much after school with rehearsals anyway but feel angry at the principle of it that I am not being offered the chance to earn a bit more money whereas others, some of whom do not put in anywhere near as much extra time as drama teachers, will get this chance. It feels like discrimination to me + Iam considering seeking union advice on any action I could take. Am I being unreasonable or not? Several years ago, after a lot of persuasion + after having to submit lesson plans that showed I would do very structured activities, I did do these revision sessions once but I have been left out of the loop this year. If I was to come in on those days I would do structured activities anyway along with directing, character + movement work, rehearsing sections of their plays + so on. I sometimes feel so despondent at being treated as a second class subject despite the work I put in + the senior teahcer who passed on the message that it would not be suitable for me to offer revision activities said that the person organising it said he would not offer drama sessions + had 'knocked Drama back in the past'.any thoughts much appreciated.

2. Wondering what people think of this situation. Every year our school offers revision sessions in the Easter holidays for Year 11 students + staff have the chance to teach some of these sessions for some extra pay. I have tried to do this on a number of occasions to support the students in preparing their Unit 3 GCSE exam. It's always a struggle to get the senior teachers to accept that I won't just be 'letting them get on with the play' + this year I have been effectively told that I can't do it because it's not proper revision in the traditional sense. In all honesty I am not majorly concerned about the money as I do so much after school with rehearsals anyway but feel angry at the principle of it that I am not being offered the chance to earn a bit more money whereas others, some of whom do not put in anywhere near as much extra time as drama teachers, will get this chance. It feels like discrimination to me + Iam considering seeking union advice on any action I could take. Am I being unreasonable or not? Several years ago, after a lot of persuasion + after having to submit lesson plans that showed I would do very structured activities, I did do these revision sessions once but I have been left out of the loop this year. If I was to come in on those days I would do structured activities anyway along with directing, character + movement work, rehearsing sections of their plays + so on. I sometimes feel so despondent at being treated as a second class subject despite the work I put in + the senior teahcer who passed on the message that it would not be suitable for me to offer revision activities said that the person organising it said he would not offer drama sessions + had 'knocked Drama back in the past'.any thoughts much appreciated.

3. Not only is this discrimination against you but against the pupils too.
    Take union advice. Get pupils to tell their parents!

4. Thank you! I spoke to a senior teacher today who was understanding + I have asked for clarification from the person in charge of the revision sessions as to why he is so reluctant to offer Drama in the revision sessions. If I don't get a satisfactory answer,which I think is likely, I will make more of a protest + get union advice. I am not feeling quite so enraged as yesterday but have made my aggriened feelings very clear. I think other subjects have had similar experience to me.

5. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

As a drama teacher I sympathise, but as a manager I think its a case of priorities being the core subjects, but no one will confess that. My school isn't paying anyone this year as there isn't any cash in the pot.

6. Our school used to only pay core subjects for Easter School, which I understand as it's clearly the priority and they were very open about that. However, as soon as other subjects (apart from core) start getting paid too, it's not fair. So if history or art or German are getting paid for revision, you should too. We now get paid for a day of Easter School along with other subjects. It's simply not fair to make that judgement call based on their own perceptions of how important a subject is. I'd certainly make complaints if this is the case.

7. Revise: to reread (a subject or notes on it) so as to memorize it, esp in preparation for an examination
    Sound like what you're doing?
    Same old story if you ask me... "Drama not as important as other subjects... easy...unstructured... no skill..."
    I don't think they have a leg to stand on. Good Luck:)