1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Feeling twitchy?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by impis, Jan 29, 2011.

1. impis

impis New commenter

Why not help out with the RSPB's birdwatch campaign this weekend.
    http://www.rspb.org.uk/birdwatch/?gclid=CPym48-Q36YCFQ4f4Qod2E9l0Q
    I've just spotted a black cap on my feeder - a bird I've never seen before! The feeders we have in school area also attracting birds that I've never seen before, or haven't seen up close for a long time - nuthatch, coal ****, longtailed **** amongst them.
    The poor birds must be having a pretty rough time this winter since so many bird who previously didn't need to use birdfeeders are now overcoming their fear in order to get food.

2. Shifter

Shifter New commenter

Yesterday, garden was swarming with birds - Monday will be the same.
    This morning? Ne'r a feather.

3. My cousin works for the RSPB so I'm honour bound to do the survey. We're doing it at 3pm today (family decision).
    The feeders are all filled up, the lard balls up, various other tasty titbits lined up and, as I type, they're going MAD over it all.
    I need to get the bird book out though - I don't recognise some of them.

4. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Half way through. The story so far:
    3 pigeons
    1 magpie
    1 robin
    1 dunnock
    1 great tit.
    Not a great tally but representative. I didn't put out anything extra because i thought I ought to record a typical hour.
    Hoping for a few more though.

5. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Hurray - 2 jays!!

6. Do squirrels count if they are up a tree?

7. Not one at casa cosmos! Not one. I even scrubbed the bird feeders yesterday and filled them in anticipation of a feeding frenzy.....
    I'll do my survey at 3 as well and give the blighters time to turn up.

8. You'd be better off having a go tomorrow morning, birds tend to be more active in the morning than late afternoon, towards dusk (which 3pm still is [​IMG] )
    (Ex rspb employee and MSc project on garden birds in London)

9. Thanks for that [​IMG]. It'll be better for tomorrow anyway as I want my youngest children to do it with me and one's just off to a party.
    Your MSc project sounds interesting, btw.

10. I picked up a bird count sheet at Pets at Home yesterday. The feeders are stocked and we will be counting tomorrow. We had a lengthy call back last year after the survey from the RSPB and was fully expecting a request for more cash (we are already members) but he just wanted to chat about the birds in our area! Great. Hoping for a woodpecker again like last year. Happy twitching!

11. Thanks, it involved a lot of early mornings and tube journeys across London to obscure garden squares, but I did enjoy it. I'll just gloss over the being bitten by a grumpy woodmouse in the small mammal part...
    <blowing own trumpet> It's even been cited by someone professional in regards to wildlife in London [​IMG]