1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

feeling the fear!

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by sleepyhead, Mar 25, 2012.

1. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

I have done this with a subject trainee of mine who left with a stack of books to mark, and returned them weeks later (just as OfSTED were arriving) still unmarked.
    She didn't come back and they sent someone else instead.

2. Two things.
    Firstly, try to be as open minded as possible. They may have changed and come back with a totally new attitude - in much the same way that we always try to treat every lesson as a new start with some troublesome pupils!
    Secondly, give them a day to settle back in and then set out your expectations as clearly and as without prejudice as possible. If you think it necessary, insist on having lesson plans 24 hours in advance. If they do not do this, then they can't teach the lesson. Set this out in a way that makes it clear you are trying to help him. Equally, though, make it seem as this is what you would do for anyone in their final placement (the fact that someone else is coming will actually make this easier as you can just say it both of them). Make it clear that doing all of these things will make it easier for them to move through and pass the course.
    I know you didn't actually ask for advice/comments but thought I'd share anyway.