1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Feeling stressed - not sure why

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by skellig1182, Oct 3, 2018.

1. skellig1182

skellig1182 Senior commenter

Hello,

So settling in the reception chn well. Deputy wanted to observe a child in my class.

Deputy thought my lesson was outstanding and the best he had seen in recent times. Reported back to head. Head told all my colleagues. They are all turning up at my door unannounced to observe me. This is really frustrating as it can happen in the afternoon when I’m just having a circle time/singing songs and getting the children settled after lunch time. Only begun full time a week ago. I don’t have notice and then I’m adapting and making up lessons on the spot so my year partners have something more appropriate to see. I don’t know why my head has told them I’m amazing and they need to see me teach. I have never felt like a good teacher and now just feel like I’m going to be talked about and will end up teaching poorly and my year partners will gossip about why the head and deputy said that I was really good when in fact I’m just average!!!

I know it was a lovely compliment and taught a lovely lesson yesterday but this is not something that happens every minute of the day. My colleagues will be coming in expecting something out of this world because the head has told them to expect it.

How can I tell everyone to leave me alone!!!!

pepper5 likes this.
  2. SCAW12

SCAW12 Occasional commenter

Enjoy the glory and then ask anyone who pops in to return the favour - you popping in to see them. Numbers will reduce....

agathamorse, yodaami2, Flanks and 2 others like this.
  3. skellig1182

I know but I have to use my ppa to observe others. I wouldn’t mind people observing but the head has painted a picture of me that I don’t feel is acurate. I think I just have to get over it and not worry. Just don’t need the extra pressure at the moment.
    Exhausted. x

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Hopefully this will wane after teachers have to cope more with getting on top of their own classes.

First thought is to take the line, "As you know settling reception children in well is really important to settle into regular routines and expectations, so whilst I would appreciate any 'visitors' could you please give me a bit of warning so I can plan activities which won't affect the children's learning by interruptions by any visitors and stay no longer than 5-10 mins."
    Puts the onus on the children's learning as your focus, gives a short time for any visits and also should any lesson not go as well as you'd like, you can always say it's because the children's focus was interrupted. ;)

5. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

Why should you change things for visitors? We used to only think about what was best for the children.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  6. skellig1182

And I’m not going to from tomorrow.

7. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

I think you must be amazing and I only hope the others who come to your class go back with lots of excellent ideas for their own class. Tell your children that they're being observed because they're the best class in the school and they, too, will bask in the glory and want to do well. Good for you!

install, Lara mfl 05 and Lucy2711 like this.
  8. skellig1182

Aww thank you. I told everyone today. I’m sure I’ll be making some visits soon!!!

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  9. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

Im in some sort of alternate universe tonight. First WD I read was on a student making TOO MUCH eye contact. Now an OP who has been told thety are Outstanding............

lrw22 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  10. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

Tell yourself every day that you are a truly good teacher and never think otherwise. Enjoy the time with your classes and don't feel stressed at all. Good luck with your teaching - the children are lucky to have you.

11. install

install Star commenter

The Observer should not have told everyone the Outstanding grade you received. You need to talk to them and question the confidentiality of the process. And you were wrongly informed they were observing the child - not you? Why the change of observation? Not good.

Next time when you are being observed aim for a Good if this is how they work :cool: