1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Feeling strained

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Bonnie23, Oct 8, 2016.

1. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

O.M.G.

2. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

I completely agree with this. Apart from inspection visits I don't think i have ever worked 7.00 until 8.30 to get regular work done. I regularly stay at work until 6 and I am usually one of the last there. I take a bit of work home at the weekend too (probably a hour or two maximum) During report writing time or when i am feeling relatively fresh I will do a bit of basic marking at home during the week.

I have worked in 3 schools now, across the 'success' line from good/outstanding to hovering above SM, with a variety of characters in charge.

3. install

install Star commenter

They should be ashamed - this is not a good working environment and sounds like a Victorian Workhouse.You will wear yourself out marking...

Go home from 'work' as soon as you can - enjoy and live your life.

Peer mark more in lessons - give students written feedback as you mark with them in lessons far more.

4. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Is the marking policy sensible, or is it all this colour-coding stuff? Exam group marking has always taken longer, but I'm told it's the daft school policies that break many teachers. When I started, common sense said you used something contrasting, eg red, being told you had to use a particular colour would only have happened on 1st April.

5. Bonnie23

Bonnie23 Occasional commenter

The colours aren't too bad, it's basically just a different colour per leve/grade etc. the KS3 isn't too bad, it's the GCSE that's the killer because it's all theory work written up. Hopefully that should improve over the next few weeks and as this is the first time round I think that also doesn't help with the way I'm marking, I'll probably find quicker ways over time.