1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

feeling rubbish

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by jonowen, Nov 9, 2011.

1. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

I have been feeling really low for the last 6 weeks and also have had toothache for 6 weeks. I went to the dentist last week and got treatment + antibiotics for an infection. I had some relief (and sleep!) but now it's getting sore again. Dentist said this may happen and I'll lose the tooth (not a problem as I'm not too scared!)
    Can a low-grade infection cause me to feel yuk and below par? I'm sick of the "drip-drip" stress I feel building up and want to get enthusiastic about life again and feel without this dental pain I'll be back on a good track.
    Thanks for listening

joni x

2. Hi Joni, sorry to hear you've been feeling a bit grim.
    If you say you've felt as ill as long as you've had toothache then I would assume the two are connected. Having had an abscess once, I was really shocked at how I'd felt under the weather for want of a better expression, but once the antibiotics kicked in it was much better (I lost the tooth in the end, so end of problem). But toothache, however mild will affect you.
    Once the treatment is finished you'll feel much better!

3. jonowen

Thanks argan! Made an appointment and tooth out tomorrow, I feel better just knowing that I may feel brighter and no more pain (or Mrs. Grumpy at home or school [​IMG])

4. Hi, hope you are feeling better today sans tooth. [​IMG]

5. jonowen

Hi, still feeling rubbish. Had the worst dental appointment ever with 2 brilliant dentists for 50 mins altogether. The tooth broke on its way out, I had as much anaesthetic as was allowed and still felt real pain (due to the infection dentist said) but eventually I was sorted. One good thing, dentist advised no school tomorrow and to put my feet up for rest of today!
    Looking forward to feeling better for the weekend [​IMG]
    joni x

6. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

Infections can definitely make you feel tired and under par. I can
    always tell when I'm brewing a sinus infection as I start to feel really
    tired and lethargic, often quite a few days before I get any real sinus
    symptoms, and then I feel rubbish until it's better.

I'm glad you got the tooth out anyway. Enjoy your day off!

7. I do hope you're feeling a bit better now. Infections can really make you feel awful. I well remember having an ear infection (the one and only time thankfully) ... it kept flaring up again and again and when it did, I felt truly awful, as if I had flu. In fact this was worse than the pain in my ear. I had to take time off work because I felt so ill. I struggled back to work after 2 weeks, but still felt pretty awful. So yes, what can seem like a minor infection, can make you feel dreadful. (Sinus infections can make you feel **** too)!

8. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

Ha! My sinuses are just gearing up for an infection so I'm feeling rubbish today! I wish thre was something i could do when I feel it starting but so far I've not found a solution, other than taking vitamins andgeting an early night, which frankly makes no difference. Steam doesn't seem to work for me either.

9. Poor you. I know how horrible this is, having suffered chronic sinusitis a few years ago. I do find that certain things make it worse, in particular, dairy products and chocolate. Cutting down on these has helped, however, I am now suffering some sinus problems again ... Not infected as such as no horrid gunk coming out, but just pain and clear mucus, runny nose etc. I've been found to have an immune system problem (not enough white blood cells) and I'm wondering if I may actually have a problem with yeast/fungal sinusitis. I've been referred to an immunologist, so hopefully I will soon get some answers to my weird health problems. At the moment I just take painkillers and sudafed, which seem to help. I have periods when my sinuses are fine but then they flare up again. If you have a bacterial infection the only things that really help are antibiotics together with prescription painkillers.

10. *Faints*
    I was going to post earlier that yes, a dental abscess can make you feel lousy. It takes a while to recover your previous energy after an infection, so don't be despondent if you don't bounce back immediately, but at least getting rid of the pain should help! Enjoy your day off!

11. jonowen

Thanks for all the friendly posts! Feeling a bit better today after a nice long lie and despite a lump the size of a golf ball on my face [​IMG] not fit to be seen outside at the moment!!
    Happy weekend everyone!