1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Feeling really scared

Discussion in 'Personal' started by wellard, Oct 27, 2011.

1. My husband of 9 years walked out on me and my two daughters yesterday. Don't know what to do now.

2. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

Sorry ... no advice to offer but wanted to send a hug.
    Anyone you can talk to? Family? Friend?

3. I'm so sorry. You'll be in shock for a bit. You need to keep the days going as normally as you can to try and minimise the effects on your children. Focus on their well being constantly during the day time because once they've gone to bed it can get vey raw.
    Try to be practical with regards to money, work and stuff and although it will be horrendous the pain will pass and eventually you'll look back on this and wonder at how well you've done.
    All good wishes to you.

4. guinnesspuss

guinnesspuss Star commenter

No advice, but I know you'll be comforted by support on here.
    ((((w))))

5. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Well some people will think you are a troll and won't believe you.
    Why did he walk out?
    You need to check your finances and block joint accounts. There will be a lot of good advice on here from people who have been in similiar situations.

6. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

7. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

I cannot highlight this enough (as wriiten by lindenlea):
    By doing that you'll be able to help your children and get through this.
    Make sure that any joint accounts are closed.

8. Thank you for the kind messages. Our marriage has been in trouble for a while but I didnt think it was so unsavable that he would leave. He has refused marriage counselling as he has been divorced before and says it is a waste of time. I now need to get my head round sorting money and access to the children. Thanx again for the kind messages.

9. Agreed.
    Resist the urge to bad-mouth him in front of the children, especially if he turns out to be unreliable about coming to see them or paying child support.
    Try not to agonise of the whys and wherefores (easier said than done, I admit), chances are you'll never really understand why he's left and worrying whether it's your fault or whether you could have done anything differently will get you nowhere.
    It's early days yet but you'll adjust and so will your children.
    x

10. My thoughts are with you ......... there is life after losing a man though. Just believe that you will get through this. :)

11. polly.glot

polly.glot New commenter

Thinking of you my dear.

12. jellycowfish

jellycowfish Occasional commenter

Big hugs to you and your girls. It happened to me 7 years ago, although I gave him a helping hand. You will look back at this time and it will be a blur - but you WILL get through it, and will be proud of yourself for doing so. Feel free to PM me. xx Take care xx