1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Feeling overwhelmed with behaviour issues

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by Blotty123, Nov 12, 2019.

1. Blotty123

Blotty123 New commenter

Can you please give me your advice/tips on how to approach this scenario?

I am an NQT and seem to have been given a pretty bad bunch of classes. Every lesson around 4 students hand in their weekly report. Initially I struggled to award sanctions so readily but now I am fine following the school procedure. The only issue with this is that I spend half the lesson issuing warnings, consequences and detentions and then at least 10 minutes after each lesson logging this on the system. Every time a student gets issued a sanction they complain, argue back at me, the class have a reason to go off task. Students are generally being issued sanctions for low level disruption (such as talking) which they seem to think is completely unfair. Sometimes I have so much chatter going on it is hard to determine who to sanction.

Then I have students who are making no effort and generally students are not getting through what they should be doing due to the time wasted on behaviour management.

I follow the rules, I call/email home regularly, I get students removed when necessary but it is still a massive detriment to the lessons.

I also go in really big with positive praise issuing merits and post cards home to the best behaved and most improved student on a weekly basis.

I have asked for support from parents and heads of years. I have held many a restorative conversation but it simply isn't making a blind bit of difference. At the same time the amount of time spent trying to deal with this is ridiculous.

I feel like I am one of the teachers who issues the most detentions and it concerns me.

I am also concerned about the students who are simply being lazy and disengaged and the fact that they will be falling behind expectations.

Is there anything I could do differently to maybe improve students' attitudes?

2. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

If you are following the school's procedures, then I cannot see that there is much more that you can do. If you do something that is new or not in line with the school's procedures, then of course you will be the one who is in trouble! As you yourself have noted, Blotty123, all of the school's procedures are not making "a blind bit of difference". Therefore my advice to you would be to get a teaching post in China, where your students will be quiet, polite, hard-working and respectful. Why waste your life trying to help a bunch of lazy losers who will never thank you for the time and effort?

3. atwoodfan

atwoodfan New commenter

Sorry you are having such a hard time. It can feel overwhelming managing constant low level behaviour. When I have a class like this, I present a lot of work broken down in stages in a worksheet. The work can be as varied as you like, but with clear instructions so everyone can get in with it if they choose.

It is also worth having someone supportive to come in and watch you, to identify key characters / other issues. When I was an NQT, my HOD arranged for the four most challenging children from a class to be removed for 1 week. It gave me a great chance to reset the tone with the rest of the class.

With parents, a focus on how it is affecting progress of their child can help. Sometimes I take a photo of a lesson's work and email it to the parents. Often this shocks and helps...

If you can make the time to view your exact class with another teacher, that can be very insightful too.

Keep trying, do ask for help if you need it. I hope things improve...