1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Feeling misled

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by CCEnglish12, Oct 4, 2015.

1. CCEnglish12

CCEnglish12 New commenter

Really need advice please. I began my NQT year in September 2013 however just before the Easter hols I was unwell and took the maximum 3 days off. When went back in senior members of the dept advised I get a docs note for the rest of the week leading up to tbe holidays as they could see I was still unwell. As a result I missed my final observation for nqt and the decision was made for me to do an extension. At this point I was told it would just be a half term extension. However when this started the following winter term (2014) I was told it would be for the whole term as that is the only period they do extensions. When I asked why this was as I now had to endure 2 more observations , I was told by senior staff that they didn't know it would be for that long. I took it on the chin and hoped once it was over I would finally be moved up to m2. I signed off my NQT year December 2014 and was told all the paper work would be sent off and it would take a few months for me to be moved up the pay scale and that Ishould receive back pay to January. I trusted the judgement of the senior members of staff and followed their advice only to be told in a discreet conversation this week that the person in charge of informing payroll of completion of nqt change of status had forgotten but I should get back pay to january 2015, however when I asked this person directly they said I would only get pay back for this September just gone and to ask the deputy headteacher about it as they can't do it like that due ti the way it is set out in the payroll document. I feel like I have been completely misled for the past year and the additional hours I started doing on my timetable after completing my nqt will go unpaid. This whole thing has put a shadow over the start of my teaching career and i'm not sure what to do next. Any advice would be gratefully received. Thanks.

2. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Firstly passing an NQT induction does not rely upon a single final observation. An extension of an induction is not granted by a school but by the Appropriate Body. Have you checked the NCTL database to ensure that your induction pass has been confirmed?
    With regards to salary this is now individually negotiated between you and your employers and if you have a pay grievance then you need to involve your Union immediately.

3. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

Agreed.

I think I would be flagging up the issue of NQT induction, observations etc with the union anyway. The school doesn't appear to know what they should be doing and I would be concerned that there might be are others things that they 'didn't know about'

4. CCEnglish12

CCEnglish12 New commenter

Sorry it has taken so long to reply. The day I found out I probably wouldn't be getting back pay I rang my union who agreed I would have a case but told me to have a meeting before "calling in the cavalry" so I arranged a private meeting with our HR lady who recorded everything and it calling a few contacts to see where I stand she is going to meet with me once she finds out all the details but I have a feeling I won't have a leg to stand on . I just feel a bit stupid and naïve really, however I did send an email to the NQT mentor on the Monday just asking if I would have to contact pensions about paying more in to cover the back pay months from January 15, to see if he would tell me I am not eligible for it, however he simply replied that it should all be sorted for me, so obviously still thinks I am entitled to it. It just worries me as we have a lot of NQTs this year I would hate for one of them to go though what I have. It's so soul destroying. I know it's only money but we could really use it now. Thank you both for replying.