1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Feeling mellow

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by bnm, Jul 24, 2011.

1. bnm

bnm

It's the start of the holidays and I have drunk a little wine.
    Many threads on this forum seem be either
    a) moaning at heads
    or
    b) asking advice of heads
    This is a thread just for me and any other fellow heads who care to add their mite, as I am in a mellow mood.
    The year has had its ups and downs. The next few months have their challenges lined up (Ofsted, "acadamisation" (amazing how quickly that word has sprung into existence!). The next few weeks have their allotted tasks (SEF update, office annual clear-out, etc).
    However, all in all it has been a good year. All in all I enjoy my job and am glad I am a headteacher.

2. greta444

greta444 New commenter

HOW many did you say you'd had? Enjoy your hols.

3. crezz1

crezz1 New commenter

I can only agree with you bnm! I too have had a few - hopefully will clear before I head into school tomorrow! I have had an up and down year: fantastic kids, challenging staff and 'academisation' on the horizon.
    I too love the job, but get fed up with staff who don't!
    The merest hint of challenge and they throw their toys out of the pram! I also have a deputy who likes to try to undermine me - difficult when you are relatively new to the school.
    Still, I wait to see what next year will throw at me!
    have a great holiday!

4. bnm

bnm

Blimey, I'm exhausted!
    Just got back from walking hols in the Peak District. Lovely, but I ache now!

5. I started the hols feeling very mellow but am now very angry with myself as I have totally wasted the last two weeks when I should have been getting on top of things. The rest of the holiday is pretty much spoken for I could so kick myself for letting this time slip through my fingers!!!

6. bnm

bnm

You spent 2 weeks relaxing.
    A very necessary activity.

7. Thanks. But I really needed to get the school improvement plan and SEF sorted and am not sure how I will get that done now! I think I just feel frustrated that you look forward to the summer holidays so much and now I have not managed my time very well. On a different note I hope that the aching muscles are feeling better!

8. bnm

bnm

After a few glasses of wine I won't remember them at all!

9. This is a very nice thread which I thought I'd keep at the top of the page! I have a very good senior teacher going in Jan for Headship & was hoping we'd keep them a bit longer. Starting recruitment after only 2 years at this level is very time consuming & everything else. Lovely to have a break though.

10. bnm

bnm

Ticked a few things off my holiday "to do" list today. That was good.
    Also added a few (not so good).
    Tomorrow is my day for blitzing that list! I will sort my office files and drawers. I will finish the SDP (always so bored of it before the year even starts!)
    For now, though, Star Trek and courgette lasagne are the tasks in hand.