1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Feeling Low after Accident

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Woodyway19, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Woodyway19

Woodyway19 New commenter

Several weeks ago I had an accident at work, having a nasty fall on dirty floor. Been signed off work now for 3 months and had several sick notes. I’m struggling with walking, standing and sitting for any length of time, having suffered a soft tissue injury. Unsure how long back pain can take to resolve and I can’t afford to have an MRI scan to see what damage has been caused. Wait for NHS is lengthy. I attempted two days back at work, but really struggled, so off work again. School has shown no sympathy or support for me. There were no adjustments made. Just need to see if anyone can offer advice or been in a similar situation. I’ve not had any support when I tried going back to work and the sick pay clock is ticking. I’ve contacted my union. Feeling very depressed and worried about the implications of being off sick for so long.

2. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Given the information you give, I'd be asking your Union about compensation - and looking to sue the school (who will be insured) if necessary.

3. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Compensation!

What says the union on this? Injury in the workplace. Negligence. I hope they're investigating! You've every right to be incandescent with rage. Never mind feeling low. How about bloody mad!?

4. Woodyway19

Woodyway19 New commenter

I feel very isolated, with only a few friends contacting me. There were interviews held for witnesses, but I wasn’t asked for a report, but I emailed one to the headteacher in the end. I was treated badly when I returned to work, basically being told that I was rubbish, in my role before accident. Had to do a duty on the day of my return and now can’t stop crying.

5. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

So now that you need a bit of support and leeway, and are potentially calling them to account for poor working conditions, you're a liability rather than a valued asset.

That shows their priorities!

I hope you feel better soon. I can offer no practical advice on soft tissue back injuries.
    Once you get to the summer break, the sick pay clock stops ticking. It sounds as if you need more recuperation.
    Mrs. P suffered considerably after a whiplash injury. She found a private physiotherapist very helpful (and not too expensive).

needabreak and jlishman2158 like this.
  6. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

You should be going to OH and they should make recommendations.
    Your GP can recommend counselling services and it sounds as if you might benefit from those.

You can only sue the school if they were at fault. A dirty floor isn't necessarily dangerous. You would probably need to show that the school knew there was a danger and had done nothing to warn anyone or reduce the risks and that you had taken all sensible steps to keep yourself safe.

jlishman2158 likes this.
  7. grumpydogwoman

Really press the union on this.

Fleecyblanket, Curae and blazer like this.
  8. Curae

Curae Lead commenter

(((((((((((())))))))))

For you ..how dare they ! I am so so sorry this has happened it's absolutely appalling.

YOU HAVE FOUND US NOW ON WPD AND WE WON'T LET YOU GO THIS ALONE !

Don't worry about the friends thing for now you need proper representation . I 'm just thinking if @lara has recommendations but you def need the union and other legal consultations via the union. Ask them asap.

jlishman2158 and ROSIEGIRL like this.
  9. Curae

Curae Lead commenter

Your GP must refer you...they often use private MRI clinics anyway. Push this explain your issues now.

jlishman2158 likes this.
  10. Curae

Curae Lead commenter

Contact US we are here 24/7. Bless you
    ((((((((((((()))))))))

jlishman2158 likes this.
  11. frustum

frustum Star commenter

I thought sick pay limits didn't apply if the cause of the absence was workplace injury?

Curae likes this.
  12. frustum

frustum Star commenter

"Under the Burgundy Book scheme, where a teacher is absent as a result of an accident arising out of, and in the course of, employment, including extra-curricular and voluntary activities, the teacher will be entitled to full pay for a maximum of six calendar months which is not reckoned against the normal sliding scale entitlement to sick pay and sick leave. The same is true when there is evidence to show that an absence was due to an infectious or contagious disease contracted as a direct result of a teacher’s employment. Where the teacher is still absent after this initial six-month period, an extension may be granted. Following this, the teacher will be entitled to the normal sick pay and sick leave entitlement described above."

13. grumpydogwoman

The union should be all over this like a rash!

jlishman2158 and Curae like this.
  14. Sally006

Sally006 Occasional commenter

Totally unbelievable! Then again a TA colleague had a back injury as a result of a fall in school and ended up with lengthy absence as she required surgery. On the day she returned the class teacher asked her to go up step ladders to remove a display. She did, was caught by caring fellow TA and asked what on earth she was doing. That kind person took it up with the head who saw no problem in it. As far as he was concerned if she was back at work she was fit to resume normal duties!!! I despair. Where has the compassion and care gone?

You can ask for an OH referral and get stuff in writing. I’ve just had this after long term absence. Should have had a risk assessment and several of the recommendations have been ignored but the point is if you are ill again you will have a stronger case if legal proceedings are needed. Surprised the Union haven’t advised this.

jlishman2158 likes this.
  15. Toomuchtooyoung

Toomuchtooyoung Occasional commenter

I’m sure such a period off work means that it has to be reported to the HSE, if they didn’t pursue a statement from you I would guess they haven’t made the report either.
    You’ve got two things going on and one doesn’t help the other. Having a fall and being injured makes anyone feel vulnerable and miserable even in the most supportive environments. Unfortunately feeling like this won’t help you in what seems will be a battle to get a decent return to work.
    It’s ok to feel down, most people would in your situation. People / employers are generally incompetent and uncaring rather than deliberately malevolent. They clearly don’t know what they’re doing, you’re entitled to Occupational Health support. Steel yourself, get some knowledge, use your union and know you are supported here.

grumpydogwoman and jlishman2158 like this.
  16. shevington

shevington Occasional commenter

The report to the HSE is the RIDDOR Form. Your Union not the school rep should have obtained the Accident / Report Form from the school. If you work for an LA School then the Union can check up with the LA whether the school has sent in the RIDDOR FORM.

Please ensure you complain compensation. If you check the two Union web sites you will find what to do, but your Union should have told you by now ,how to go about the process. The Union should have sorted this out some time ago.

grumpydogwoman and jlishman2158 like this.
  17. Woodyway19

Woodyway19 New commenter

Do I not need a sick note during the six week holiday? Thanks!

18. Woodyway19

Woodyway19 New commenter

Union are now working on it and providing support. I spent hours on the phone to them.
    I suspect the school will take this opportunity to try and move me on, as I’ve been teaching for 40 years. Still love the job though.
    Went back to GP and more support offered. Comment was ‘Another toxic school environment.’
    Thanks for taking the time to comment. Much appreciated.

19. grumpydogwoman

Let's say term ends on 19th July and your sick note ends on the 24th. No problem. Assuming you're not doing a trip. No action required.

If it comes to the end of August and you don't think you can get into your room to prepare etc then see the doctor again.

jlishman2158 and phlogiston like this.
  20. Woodyway19

Woodyway19 New commenter

Many thanks for clarifying.

jlishman2158 and Curae like this.