1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Feeling lost

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by Jenm2000y2k, Jul 24, 2011.

1. Hi all
    Obviously just finished school for summer holidays and due my first baby in 3 weeks. However already feeling lost, bored and impatient knowing I wont be going back to school in September.
    And I dont want to sound like I dont want this little fella/missus that is totally not the case - Im totally looking forward to a whole new chapter in my life. And yes I know I will be busy with a newborn. But cant help feeling like Im missing a massive part of my life by not being part of school in September and having no work to got back to.
    Any advice appreciated.

2. toeinwater

toeinwater New commenter

I think you've probably hit the nail on the head by saying you'll be busy with a newborn. Everyone else is overjoyed at having finished for the summer; it seems a shame to miss out on this aspect of this time of year, especially as it isn't like you'll still be pg at the end of the summer holidays when everyone else is heading back. Have you got friends and/or family with whom you could meet up with over the coming weeks to take your mind off things? Come September I'm sure you'll feel differently and will be proud of your little bundle and will be wanting to show him/her off. At the end of the day, despite how much we put of ourselves into teaching, it is just a job. It's someone elses children and there are more important things in life. I'd love to be in your position!
    Good luck!

3. I felt exactly the same- finished at Christmas knowing I wasn't going back in January, and when January 4th came and went with me not going back to school I did feel very strange and lost and a little sad. However I soon embraced being at home, nesting, cooking food for the freezer, and quite simply- when that baby is born you won't give school a second thought, guaranteed. Enjoy it! I am finishing in three days knowing that I'm not going back til this time next year due to baby number two and I couldn't be happier or more excited!

4. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

I felt a bit like that with my first baby. I went off at the beginning of May (he was due June 6th) and i missed certain parts of being at work, and for the first few days felt like I was throwing a sickie, and then May half term came and went and my friends were all back at work, which was weird.
    My son was 10 days late, so I was waiting and waiting, but I enjoyed my time off once I got used to it, and went out every day, got a suntan etc. I'm so glad i made the most of my time to myself because it'll be several years before I get that again! Once my son was born I couldn't care less about work, and i definitely didn't want to go back when my maternity leave ended.
    I'm on maternity leave now with my 2nd, and i have to say I couldn't wait to be on leave again!